Hollow tech 2 bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A lovely stiff spindle and interface, but at the expense of carrying the loads through relatively small bearings. The old Octalink standard was the point at which manufacturers seem to have decided we all think stiff cranks are more important than durability.

GRAVELBIKE.com

Sorry, but that link doesn't show anything. It's at best anecdotal-also doesn't mention how many miles he rode etc.

Those BB cups have been ridden at least 3000 miles. The majority of those miles were dry, but the wet ones were ridden in torrential downpours. I'd estimate that 20-25% of the miles were ridden off-road, in very dusty conditions. I also tend to "mash" the pedals, so I put a lot of stress on that bike's components. I would not hesitate to purchase another set of DA BB cups.

charlie strong

I too have Tiagra Shimano crank that came with the 4500 Tiagra Hollowtech II bottom bracket (2011 Fuji SL Pro). Mine lasted about 2000 miles before it started creaking. I'm a bigger guy former bodybuilder who weighs 210lbs who does a lot of hard group rides and climbing. So I replaced it with the 7900 DuraAce bottom bracket for about $10US more than the Tiagra BB thinking this would be the most durable option. Well the DuraAce bottom bracket has lasted a whopping 500 miles...it's already developed an annoying creak. And yes it was installed correctly and it's not the pedals or seatpost. I took it off and could feel the looseness in the bearings after only 500 hard miles. My experience with Shimano bike componets is Ultegra seems to be the most durable level with 105 coming close. I plan to replace the bottom bracket with the 6700 Ultegra version.

Top Bottom