Hollow tech 2 bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Hi guys it would appear that after about 3000 miles my Shimano tiagra hollowtech 2 bottom bracket had developed some play in the bearings, does anyone know if I can fit the 105, ultegra or dura ace hollowtech bottom bracket and use my tiagra crank??? Also is there any mileage in upgrading to the higher end components?
Thanks in advance

Jon2

You can fit any of them with no problems. I've no idea i they'll last longer or not though.

Nebulous

Guru
I got another Tiagra one. I removed it, decided I wanted to replace it and lbs only had Tiagra in stock. Sometimes I just cba waiting for stuff to arrive.
There doesn't seem to be much difference in price on Ultegra online. Less than £5 if I recall correctly last time I looked. So I'd have a punt on that if I was ordering, just to see if I could tell any difference. Supposed to have better bearings and better seals.

400bhp

Guru
I think generally with Shimano components, the difference in respective ranges is mainly down to weight, then aesthetics. I'm not sure there is any difference with durability, certainly not materially different or we'd know about it.

Nebulous

Guru
I think generally with Shimano components, the difference in respective ranges is mainly down to weight, then aesthetics. I'm not sure there is any difference with durability, certainly not materially different or we'd know about it.

So what would you buy?

Chain reaction cycles at the moment, Tiagra £11.99, Ultegra £14.99 (105 is £18.99, and Dura-ace is £28.99!) For £3 extra I'd live dangerously and go for Ultegra.

byegad

Legendary Member
3000 sounds a bit short, I got 4500 from mine, but it's on a front faired recumbent so lives in a dry environment with zero road spray.

400bhp

Guru
3000 sounds a bit short, I got 4500 from mine, but it's on a front faired recumbent so lives in a dry environment with zero road spray.

I think the first of mine went on my CAAD after avout 3k miles (Tiagra). I was disappointed with that but at £13 for a replacement not bank breaking.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
All shimano use 24mm axels so the BB's are interchangeable. Go for the best you can afford. My CAADX has just shot through it's BB in 1500 miles, but it has been treated really roughly. My road bike BB is DA and has done 3000 no issues at all.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hi guys it would appear that after about 3000 miles my Shimano tiagra hollowtech 2 bottom bracket had developed some play in the bearings
This sounds all to familiar! Personally I think the lifespan of these bottom brackets is not good enough. I toyed with the idea of upgrading the bearings by using the bearing replacement service HERE but in the end went for the standard stock Shimano item.

As it turned out it was a good job I did because when I removed the bearings I found the thread on one of the cups was badly galled so was not re-useable. At first I thought the bearing cup had been installed cross threaded (factory installed from new!!!) but it came out ok and after cleaning the thread in the B/B shell was good. Thankfully the softer alloy of the bearing cup had suffered nearly all the damage and I suspect the problem had been caused by the presence of swarf or a bad thread on the cup. Would still like to try the bigger bearing upgrade promised by BETD if I get the chance but 3k from the Shimano items is dissapointing.

400bhp

Guru
All shimano use 24mm axels so the BB's are interchangeable. Go for the best you can afford. My CAADX has just shot through it's BB in 1500 miles, but it has been treated really roughly. My road bike BB is DA and has done 3000 no issues at all.

I can afford the top of the range Shimano. Please can you explain what benefits it has over, say Tiagra.

Top Bottom