Home and Contents insurance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
They work on the basis people are lazy and let it auto renew. I bet the vast majority let it happen at least for the second year.

My Virgin deal ran out and it leapt up to normal price, I had already decided to leave, fiest phonecall and they offered to lower it back down.

I just wanted Freeview and basic internet without new contract best they could do was £48 had to have phone and 12 month contract early disconnect fee capped at £240

I cancelled 24 hours later, same deal £30, two months free partial refund of this payment and 30day contract no penalty.

Awful way to treat customer's.

Swallowed my ethics and took the deal couldn't face changing it all over for £3 less and slower internet!

If you're not lazy it's a good system as the lazy people effectively subsidise those who are not lazy

pclay

Veteran
My policies were due for renewal a couple of weeks ago. My existing insurer's renewal quote had gone up by about £15. I went on Compare the Market and my existing insurer popped up with a quote £50 less than my renewal quote. That's what I went with, and a I got a free Meerkat toy too.

Moral of the story: switch insurers every year, loyalty does not pay.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just had a letter from my bank about taking out home and content insurance which is due for renewal on 14 May. My present policy is not with them. As a valued customer, they are offering me 40% off plus another 10% introductory offer so I filled in their form for a quote. It works out still £30 a year dearer than on a compare website. It doesn't make sense does it? Of course , I will not be taking advantage of their 40 +10%offer . What a joke!!

Oddly, we just got a very similar offer from a bank, but not one we have any dealings with.
Their quote was verging on ridiculously cheap - cheaper than any premium we've paid in the 18 years we've lived here.
Checked, then checked again, and cover is also slightly better than our current provider so we've gone with them.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I hate comparison sites, firstly they are taking a cut but nainlm five years ago I was thinking of a can for work so got some quotes and stupidly gave my right details to this day every October I get spam calls and email about rebewsl

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Could you have a word with her with one of her relatives present and explain you think shes being ripped off? Shes being really fleeced there.
Its awful how elderly people are exploited.Its for herself and her family to sort out,but I would definitley tell them.

We did. This all came out quite recently, and has been slightly overtaken by events - Edna's health/state of mind. But we did tell her niece who's now handling her affairs. They changed.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I like comparison sites as you get a free meerkat as well. I have 6 of them now and probably a seventh when I renew my house insurance through them. I found another firm cheaper, with a lower excess too for the same cover.

Crankarm

Guru
I hate comparison sites, firstly they are taking a cut but nainlm five years ago I was thinking of a can for work so got some quotes and stupidly gave my right details to this day every October I get spam calls and email about rebewsl

Given the errors in your comment I am surprised you receive anything from them!

Drago

Legendary Member
Sssshhhh! Don't want to upset Winston Wolf!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have found Direct Line to be one of the better ones to deal with. I moved house and got a bit of a refund, which I didn't expect or ask for, as my new place is in a lower risk area. Several years ago I had a car stolen after the keys were left in the car door and they paid out no problem, even giving a good price.
I've generally found their quotes competitive, although I have moved around on occasion.

Reactions: C R

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
If Direct line come up competitive next year, as I will be a new client again I would go back to them.

vickster

Legendary Member
I tend to alternate between the AA and esure for home insurance

I will never give a penny to Direct Line, in fact I'll finally be taking a sizeable amount from them hopefully in the next few months...

lane

Veteran
SAGA insurance haven been know charge very high premiums to older people. To me one of the difficult things is making sure you have the cover you want because so much is hidden in the small print. If you want decent cover for your bikes both at home and away you are limited to a small number of insurers. If you have recent claims experience it gets more difficult.

Top Bottom