Just renewed Home insurance.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just renewed with Esure after being with them for the last 12 months.

Renewal offer was £282, we paid £290 last year. I did a quick search of the comparison sites and their renewal offer was comparable to the other reputable names but Esure didn't even show up on the first page of the results so if they were being picked up by the search engine they were quoting over £600 for my business this time around.

I also had an extra bike to add to the listed items as my sons 1991 Raleigh Vitesse would easily cost more than the £500 general cover limit to replace with an equivalent bike today. I gave them a figure which I explained was a bit of a guesstimate as a direct comparison to anything available today is tricky. The bike also needed to be listed to be covered away from the house.

Only £7 extra a year and no conditions on the type of lock used as long as it is locked when unattended.

So, on the whole I have to give a big thumbs up to Esure as they haven't tried to stitch me up as an existing customer at renewal time and the cost of insuring the extra bike seems more than reasonable to me :thumbsup:

Funnily enough I use esure, with some bikes added if over 500. Consistently the cheapest over the last few years.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's all a big game that we have to play every year.
Current insurer puts up premiums over last years. Phone up and say goodbye unless they match the lowest comparable online quote. A bit of toing and froing, until they agree to do so.
Yeah, except I didn't have to this year, they were just on the money from the get go.... maybe the world is coming to an end?

Kbrook

Veteran
I always let my existing car and home policy expire, then immediately reinsure through Quidco. My car insurance renewal with Aviva is £260. By going through Quidco as a new customer got it for £180 with £70 Cashback to come.

BrynCP

Über Member
As our house flooded within the last 10 years, we struggle to get home insurance, and the insurance company we have only covers bikes up to £300 in value (and not at all if they are flood damaged)!

I therefore have to insure separately and for three bikes with a list price value of £1700 it's costing £120 a year to insure:sad: Not only that, they have very strict storage requirements.

philtalksbx

Über Member
Our surprise with Endsleigh was the small print. £500 limit is per claim on the bikes kept in the shed, not per item. Gutted to get just that for my three nicked last month. I'll be a bit more careful with the T&Cs come renewal time.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
When ours came up for review (think it was Swift Cover) the price looked to be OK, matched the lower 10% of quotes on-line, and I was on the verge of simply allowing the auto renew to kick in when I noticed (in small print) a note on the renewal letter saying that terms and conditions/cover would change.

On checking the proposed renewal (details only avail on-line) they had removed cover for bikes over £300, and no longer offered cover to goods in out-buildings or garages.

Went somewhere else and we now have better cover for less money and a new Meerkat :smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
This time last year I insured with Direct Line for £257 including cover for 3 bikes.
No claims in the interim period, and just had my renewal notice in ..... £348.
Looks like I'll have to play the tedious annual game of insurance merry-go-round. :rolleyes:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
By the time you pay the compulsory and any voluntary excess then have next years premium raised because you had a claim it may not be such a good idea.

Worth looking into but the insurance company allways wins in the long run.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
By the time you pay the compulsory and any voluntary excess then have next years premium raised because you had a claim it may not be such a good idea.

Worth looking into but the insurance company allways wins in the long run.
I may not claim for an individual bike depending on which one and the circumstances but list the bikes in case the house is burgled and all the bikes are cleared out in one hit. In this case it would definitely be worth a claim and take the hit for excess and rise in premium the following year.

400bhp

Guru
When ours came up for review (think it was Swift Cover) the price looked to be OK, matched the lower 10% of quotes on-line, and I was on the verge of simply allowing the auto renew to kick in when I noticed (in small print) a note on the renewal letter saying that terms and conditions/cover would change.

On checking the proposed renewal (details only avail on-line) they had removed cover for bikes over £300, and no longer offered cover to goods in out-buildings or garages.

Went somewhere else and we now have better cover for less money and a new Meerkat :smile:

They don't help themselves [insurance companies] with stuff like this. It should be a legal requirement that, on renewal, they list the changes to the policy on the front page of the renewal letter.
At least the law has been changed so that they will have to start showing the increase/decrease in premium from the previous year.

Top Bottom