Home Bargains prices as against Tesco, Sainsbury etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
They offer evening classes to oldies how to use. Although old folk rarely seem to be in a hurry at the checkout...especially on a weekday lunchtime or weekend :evil:
There you go jumping to conclusions.:rolleyes:
I am perfectly capable of using them, as I am with most technology.
The reason I don't like self checkouts is that I don't see why I should put a checkout operator out of a job, especially if I'm paying good money for anything.
If stuff was dirt cheap I wouldn't mind so much; but self checkout at Tescos, Waitrose, Sainsburys etc? They're just taking the p***.
Pay top whack and do their job for them as well? No way!

Adam4868

Guru
Same as banks doing away with counter staff and asking you to do it yourself ! Never use them out of principle,nor do I use automated petrol stations.

nor do I use automated petrol stations.
Ah, yes, driveway service

1acb8920986a2adc6810c14ca7f2045c.jpg

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I must admit I have often peered at the queue of people with baskets waiting to get in to the self checkout whilst the Basket only manned checkout queue was empty or just one or two people in it. I even asked the lady if she was open and was it ok.

I prefer scan as you shop, perfect if working to a budget.

The one thing I learnt was that there is a limit on how many painkillers you can buy through a self checkout, I keep meaning to try it through a normal one.

I have a few Waitrose around me and I will be very honest I find most of their food really disappointing, the reputation promises much different choice and fails to deliver mostly. The only nice thing is the Apple Yum Yum's although the name was new thing on me.

Adam4868

Guru
[QUOTE 5166727, member: 259"]This is the norm in Belgium. Pick up your scanner, scan your stuff, deposit your scanner, and go to a payment terminal thing. You'll get checked once in a blue moon by someone who speaks about 10 languages fluently, but otherwise, just pay and go. And in wonderment, pass by the rows of people waiting at the "trad" cash desks. What's all that about?[/QUOTE]
As said before doing away with peoples jobs and not forgetting social interaction.Whats wrong with speaking to someone not a machine...Whenever I have to queue at the local supermarket and im told "would you like to go to the self service area ? " I usually politely ask can you open another checkout instead.Usually.works aswell.

screenman

Legendary Member
Odd how when I was a child we used to have a grocers at the top of the road, normally with one of most two people serving, we just waited until it was our turn. Now if you have to wait a few minutes at the checkout customers start whingeing. Personally I like to take the time to chat to the other people around, just like my parents used to do.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
There you go jumping to conclusions.:rolleyes:
I am perfectly capable of using them, as I am with most technology.
The reason I don't like self checkouts is that I don't see why I should put a checkout operator out of a job, especially if I'm paying good money for anything.
If stuff was dirt cheap I wouldn't mind so much; but self checkout at Tescos, Waitrose, Sainsburys etc? They're just taking the p***.
Pay top whack and do their job for them as well? No way!
Maybe it was in jest :rolleyes:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Same as banks doing away with counter staff and asking you to do it yourself ! Never use them out of principle,nor do I use automated petrol stations.

As a child, I remember going on holiday (nothing foreign, a bus trip to Cumbria) and watching a Blacksmith shoe a Shire horse, which was used for Ploughing the fields.

Later in life, one of my Work Mates, his father was a Farrier, in Northumberland.

Those jobs have (mostly) disappeared now, along with Scribes, Comptometer Operators, Lamp Lighters...... etc. ;)

Top Bottom