Home Bargains prices as against Tesco, Sainsbury etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Oh right:laugh:. Er, what are they like then?:smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
as far as the check out is concerned , just like any other shop , I know what you mean about aldi though, its as though they are on a time limit to get you through the checkout, maybe they are,
Aldi and Lidl are German-style. You are expected to put the items back into your trolley ASAP and use the large packing shelf behind the checkouts to bag up. However, there's nothing explaining this, so mainly it's the, shall we say, locals who once lived in a country nearer Germany who seem to realise this... and the locals seem unwilling to copy the incomers, so the queues crawl along and a fairly small supermarket has 6 or 8 lanes when they'd probably have 4 in Germany. :wacko:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
as far as the check out is concerned , just like any other shop , I know what you mean about aldi though, its as though they are on a time limit to get you through the checkout, maybe they are,
They are. I watched that short documentary about Aldi the other year. All the staff fly round chucking stuff on the shelves,pulling pallets out etc. When i've been in, i've left stuff behind,just because i've missed it while trying to bag stuff with the irate tool who's next in the queue giving me the evils. This happened last week,when i left a frozen cheesecake behind. I went back for it. They had a "it's your own fault" attitude. Oh,and try and leave the store with one of their baskets! They follow you outside,making out like you've nicked the day's takings. "It's only a basket,i'll bring it back once i've got my stuff in the car",said i. Like i'd want to nick a fecking manky basket off them!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Are they like Aldi,at the checkout? You know,where they whizz the items through the till,then stick their hand out expecting you to pay, while you've only managed to get one or two items into your bag. Not forgetting the ignorant next customer in the queue,sitting on your shoulder trying to make you go faster!:angry:
Put the items back in your basket/trolley and pack them in a bag at the bench... that's the Aldi way :okay:

edit... and the baskets are tagged because too many people do try to nick them.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Fairly confident both the German discounters have time and motion for everything instore for staff, so most end up doing 9/10 hour shifts on 7.5 hour money.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
the target is scanning 1050 items an hour... the clock is still ticking whilst the customer is paying... and whilst those who can't grasp the concept of doing their packing at the bench so the cashier can serve the next customer sooner rather than later.

edit @User13710 ...it depends on the store. Our checkouts aren't designed to be packed at, hence the bench.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Aldi and Lidl are German-style. You are expected to put the items back into your trolley ASAP and use the large packing shelf behind the checkouts to bag up. However, there's nothing explaining this, so mainly it's the, shall we say, locals who once lived in a country nearer Germany who seem to realise this... and the locals seem unwilling to copy the incomers, so the queues crawl along and a fairly small supermarket has 6 or 8 lanes when they'd probably have 4 in Germany. :wacko:

Not to mention those who appear surprised that they have to pay and start rummaging in their handbag/pockets to find their wallet/purse. Why can’t they be ready?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
On the subject of Aldi. There i was the other year wearing my "Deutschland"cycling jersey while shopping,when some irate bloke took exception to it and followed me outside. I asked him if everything was ok,when it clearly wasn't. "What you wearing that thing for?!" he said aggressively. I just smiled and watched him get into his big Audi penis extension car,after he'd just been shopping in a German owned store. Oh the irony of it all!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom