Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I am hanging a new door in an old Victorian frame, with the hinges on the other side. The frame was the old front door before a porch was built so the door rests on a step 2" higher than the floor.

I have the hinges in the new door which is solid with glass and quite heavy.
I have chiselled out the new recesses for the hinges.
Now I have to position the door to mark the screw holes.????? Any ideas?

Thought I may have to construct new "floor level" to support the door. Wedges and old bits of floorboards just slip too. much

Last edited:

newts

Veteran
Folding wedges, cut from a 2ft piece of 4x2 or 3x2.

Hicky

Guru
Replaced the softwood flooring in the lean to from the back door aka where we store our shoes/dog leads/bin etc.
The original flooring wasn't supported around the edge and sat on the bricks with 2x2 crossing to tie them together...I found this as I lifted the lot as a oner....a mix of rusty screw and nails meant it couldn't be readily separated.
I edges the brickwork with some treated timber then laid the decking planks as seen. The difficult part was the drilling(engineered bricks ie hard).
Flip flops thanks to the dogs wandering around, we have no cat but one Cocker trashes it occasionally in excitement.:wacko:
3hrs work.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Replaced the softwood flooring in the lean to from the back door aka where we store our shoes/dog leads/bin etc.
The original flooring wasn't supported around the edge and sat on the bricks with 2x2 crossing to tie them together...I found this as I lifted the lot as a oner....a mix of rusty screw and nails meant it couldn't be readily separated.
I edges the brickwork with some treated timber then laid the decking planks as seen. The difficult part was the drilling(engineered bricks ie hard).
Flip flops thanks to the dogs wandering around, we have no cat but one Cocker trashes it occasionally in excitement.:wacko:
3hrs work.
View attachment 611366

View attachment 611367

View attachment 611368
good work that

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
3hrs work.
View attachment 611366

View attachment 611367

View attachment 611368
Hope you took your shoes out before you laid the floor!

Replacing an old shower mixer which is plastic and has really expensive cartridges with an all metal one from screwfix.
You have to set the brass support brackets at precisely the correct height and separation with no wiggle room. No eccentric adjustment.
I screwed up the first time and the screw hole was too close to the edge so the screw just rotated. I chopped out some of the backing board and glued in a small hardwood block.
Will try and use the fixed side and the mixer unit as a guide for positioning the remaining bracket.
There is no way to keep the screw'in bracket tight and aligned, so I left it with a little play and connected it up. The screw on trim seems to keep it tight against the wall.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
As promised to an old friend, a new double glazed panel fitted to her upstairs window.
Took me 1/2 hour and a cuppa. She 9ffered some money, no way, its in honour of Terry, her late husband, my old squash partner.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hot rads yesterday, heatings not on, that means only one thing (normally) the motor on the diverter valve has failed. Called my son (gas engineer) to confirm it, he took less than 3 minutes to diagnose a sticky spindle on the valve.5 minutes work, a bit of penetrant then oil, freed up and working.
Now i know, itll be me doing it next time. Common fault apparently on some valves.

cleaned the clothes dryer ductwork. glad I got to it! this is the lint chute that had to be removed
IMG_8115.jpg

yes, I unplugged it from the wall
IMG_8109.jpg

oh my, I had no idea. this is the long horizontal run out the side of our building. approx. 12-15ft. amazing dryers work when the ducts look like this
IMG_8119.jpg

should do this more than every 10 years. got the brush in some of it, then the shop vac w/ extensions approx. 10 ft
IMG_8126.jpg

the most accessible duct sections got the cleanest. the vertical section behind the machine & a cpl feet after the bend, toward the exit
IMG_8118.jpg

now the shop vac needs cleaning! think I'll do it outside after the freezing rain lets up (another day). amazing shop vacs work, when the filter is covered in thick lint
IMG_8133.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Bedroom double glazed window, top hinged refuses to open. I can feel one side is free, other side not releasing. How to approach it ?. Slender chisel in one side, see if its maybe just not clearing the catchplate, no chance.
With the window panel in i can't flex the frame enough to see if I can wobble/ twist the frame free, so capping off, glazed unit completely out..which let me flex everything enough to open the window...and the stuck sides latches don't move as i operate the handle. For access and ease, I actually took the entire inner frame, hinges etc out of the outer frame
So the lock mech (shootbolt gearbox so its called) is broken, lots of research and measuring and hopefully the correct one ordered.

Safestyle windows eh ?..they've only been in since 2004. 18 years, outrageous reliability :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I am officially useless at DIY. Two trips to get a new toilet seat this morning; first one was the wrong shape and the second was far too big. So I've a spare one I can't return since it's opened but unfitted :sad: (to be sold?)

Turns out our main bathroom has bespoke components :ohmy:

The manufacturer wants £££ for a replacement one. But I found several on Ebay at £20 so ordered two.

At least I know how it's to be fitted now, having had to re-fit the one I took apart earlier :blink:

I am officially useless at DIY. Two trips to get a new toilet seat this morning; first one was the wrong shape and the second was far too big. So I've a spare one I can't return since it's opened but unfitted :sad: (to be sold?)Turns out our main bathroom has bespoke components :ohmy:The manufacturer wants £££ for a replacement one. But I found several on Ebay at £20 so ordered two.At least I know how it's to be fitted now, having had to re-fit the one I took apart earlier :blink:
I like the slow-close, painted, wood models

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
After my disaster of Monday's attempt at fitting, and failing, a new toilet seat two arrived today. One for now, and one for spare as it's bespoke and not made any more - there were a couple in stock so I bought both.

All fitted, working and hopefully OK.

Top Bottom