Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Some paints are shockingly bad at coverage. Daughter wanted her room white, after it was purple (after I didn't want it purple). It's took many coats, and it had to be completely dry before trying a second, as it also 'lifted'.

It's taken 4 coats and a lot of re-painting bits but the paintwork is finally complete. Overall it looks an excellent finish, but was far too much work to get there.

As a result I'm a day behind on decorating but am now back at work so it'll be bits-and-pieces to finish things off. However, I've also started painting the bathroom as the person who did it previously whilst I was recovering from my operation made a mess of things and I've been far too busy to fit it. Oh, and I've to paint the wood on the garage roof before the winter. All in no days off until Christmas.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's taken 4 coats and a lot of re-painting bits but the paintwork is finally complete. Overall it looks an excellent finish, but was far too much work to get there.

As a result I'm a day behind on decorating but am now back at work so it'll be bits-and-pieces to finish things off. However, I've also started painting the bathroom as the person who did it previously whilst I was recovering from my operation made a mess of things and I've been far too busy to fit it. Oh, and I've to paint the wood on the garage roof before the winter. All in no days off until Christmas.

Same, ours was fine once done, but what a faff. Even 'soft shell' gloss has got worse, i.e. none-wipeable. Latest gloss, whilst fine when dry, does not cover any scuff marks - takes 3 coats on that area.

Bring back old stinky paint !

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Haven't followed the thread but recent posts bring to mind the word 'trade'. I am probably the tightest person in Christendom, but even I fork out the extra for trade paints. They are so much better. Twice the price and worth every penny.

I've posted this hint before but worth repeating. A mate of mine used to be an industrial chemist, at one point working on paint and he gave me the hint to pick up the cans in the shop buy the heavier one. Titanium oxide, the all important pigment bit, at least for white paint, is much heavier than water so the heavy can has more pigment and less water.

Having avoided most DIY since buying our house in 2016 I finally succumbed to investing some money on a few areas of the house this spring.
So far we’ve had a new patio laid in the garden, new LVT flooring throughout most of the ground floor, 4 new windows, a new front door, wooden blinds on most windows and shutters on the bay window and I’ve just finished building a fake chimney breast in the front room because apparently it ‘lacked character’. Last night I started installing some alcove shelving to go in the new alcove.
Im still being harassed for some panelling on a wall in the bedroom and we have a bit of coving / skirting board to finish since the new floor was installed.
Slowly getting there!
very nice! wouldn't call that slowly tho! well done, you! interesting mantle over the stove!

fossyant

Finally getting somewhere with these painted floors. 3 weeks so far.

Hallway looking good

fossyant

Driveway was looking a right mess after my son's mates cars left various engine fluids on the drive. The patch in the middle had just been test painted after I had to dig it out due to a petrol spillage. Before, during and after. 1 1/2 tins of Wickes Drive Seal. £18 a tin.

gbb

Legendary Member
For an old friend,took a double glazed window apart so she could measure and order a new window (cracked pane). I will befitting it in due course no doubt.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In yet another shameless attempt to cement my position as son number one, I hung my Mum's new garden gate whilst she was away for a few days. An easy enough task but made slightly trickier thanks to a pair of slightly wonky concrete gate posts that cannot be straightened without some serious upheaval, so the 2x4 timbers I'd be attaching to the posts needed a bit of fettling...

In order to get the inside faces of the timber parallel, they needed tapering from bottom to top so I clamped up two lengths of 2x4 with the post in the middle at a slight angle, and cut the tapers with a router.

The longer post only needed a 1cm taper and is slotted for a fence panel, so that was quite quick. The other one needed tapering to an inch... that made a fair few chippings.

Luckily for me my calculations worked out and i didn't have a blonde moment; the gate fits perfectly between the wonky everything else and is actually bang on level (that'll be a first!).

Made a couple of little post caps since the old posts had rotted down through the exposed end grain. Mum was most chuffed when she returned...

...oh, and i mowed the lawn too ^_^

edit...

I've since added a third hinge and a strip of timber to the latch side for it to close against, also capped to prevent rotting.

Last edited:

Trickedem

Guru
In yet another shameless attempt to cement my position as son number one, I hung my Mum's new garden gate whilst she was away for a few days. An easy enough task but made slightly trickier thanks to a pair of slightly wonky concrete gate posts that cannot be straightened without some serious upheaval, so the 2x4 timbers I'd be attaching to the posts needed a bit of fettling...

View attachment 609953

In order to get the inside faces of the timber parallel, they needed tapering from bottom to top so I clamped up two lengths of 2x4 with the post in the middle at a slight angle, and cut the tapers with a router.

View attachment 609956

The longer post only needed a 1cm taper and is slotted for a fence panel, so that was quite quick. The other one needed tapering to an inch... that made a fair few chippings.

View attachment 609957

Luckily for me my calculations worked out and i didn't have a blonde moment; the gate fits perfectly between the wonky everything else and is actually bang on level (that'll be a first!).

Made a couple of little post caps since the old posts had rotted down through the exposed end grain. Mum was most chuffed when she returned...

View attachment 609958

...oh, and i mowed the lawn too ^_^

edit...

I've since added a third hinge and a strip of timber to the latch side for it to close against, also capped to prevent rotting.

View attachment 610048
Excellent job.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
With the greenhouse structure all built and the rustic kitchen now removed, this weekend i may start on the new planting boarders around the plum and apple tree, ready for the plant boxes in the spring and another skinny pergola for climbing plants to aide privacy......

this is a skinny pergola

1632294178923.png

timber order made and arriving tmrw

Last edited:
Top Bottom