Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The wife dropped her mouth wash glass on the bathroom sink & a big hole appeared!
Polythene, Gorilla Glue & Sealant used for the repair until I replaced it a week later. I didn't want to as it was water tight, but the wife insisted! View attachment 595115

Oof. Our loo 'potty' cracked, and that started a complete bathroom refurb - just saying - might have been deliberate. :whistle:

anybody tackle a garden walkway on a slope? I live in a condo complex that borders some town land w/ trails. the entrance to the trails is right behind my unit. over the years the trail entrance wasn't used much & I lazily maintained the grass. someone decided to publicize the trails so now they are getting more use. I can't keep the grass where ppl are walking. I think 2 or 3 modest steps might help but I'm reluctant to experiment. don't want to get in trouble with the condo police & don't want to be held liable if someone falls on whatever I put there. if they slip & fall on wet dirt, that's not my responsibilty
P1140838 back trail - small.JPG

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We had a rather blank and austere wall - actually next door's wall, but it's by the french doors at the back. After painting it white, it looked better, but Mrs PP decided to do some mosaics, and did a lot of experimenting and working out on bits of paper, and now gone for it. Whilst she was very much the creative force, she got frustrated with non sticking cement etc, so I stepped in on the actual implementation, and saved the day if I do say so myself. I guess making all those plastic panzertank kits as a kid gave me the patience. As I said to her I'm sure Michelangelo had a boy in to fill in most of the details on that ceiling job he's famous for. Being in Bristol we went for a balloon them. Two more to go

View attachment 592865

Ballon mosaic now complete, bar painting touch up. I'm sure any 7 year old artist would be proud

my elderly parents TV lost it's sound. several ppl incl. a cpl technicians from their cable company & myself couldn't get it back. tried all the settings on the TV & remote. they replaced the TV & I took the old one off their hands so they wouldn't have to deal w/ electronics recycling. before giving it to a recycler, I searched the internet & electronics forums. tried everything except replacing one of the boards inside. decided to try tapping a powered speaker to our cable box, so bought a 2 RCA Male and 3.5mm Stereo Female connector & a large set of powered computer speakers for $20. before connecting to the cable box, I tried the audio out RCA connectors on the back of the TV. this worked & we can also hear the DVDs. if I tapped just the cable box we wouldn't be able hear the DVD audio. so whatever is wrong with the TV, the audio can still pass thru to the audio out jacks. the TV remote volume has no affect. we see the volume bar go up & down, but no affect on the audio out the back of the set. the powered speakers have a volume & tone control & that's fine. so I guess we bought a cpl more years out of the TV. my test DVD was Fever Pitch w/ Jimmy Fallon & Drew Barrymore. btw large powered computer speakers are way less expensive than "home stereo sound bars"! also, as good, if not better than built in TV speakers
IMG_7083.jpg

Sharky

Guru
Our front door has an "ERA" slam shut door lever/mechanism. One of those where you just pull the door closed as you leave the house. Well for the last few weeks, the striker has been refusing to go in and the door just bangs with a horrible noise and without closing.

Thought I would need to take it apart and investigate why it wasn't working. But before I did, I had a light bulb moment and just applied a very tiny smear of my cycle grease to the striker and striker plate.

I was amazed by the change. The door just closes, without any effort to "slam" the door behind as you leave.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
really nice! what did you use for a hinge? piano hinge? my Dad gave me 2 parts of 2 diff. knife boxes & asked me to make 1 good boxe out of them. think ing a very small piano hinge might work

Butterfly hinges on the back of the box.

Good luck with your knife box salvage project.

Finished staining the floorboards with osmo oil stain. It goes on easily, covers filler but does highlight sanding errors. Next is 2 coats of protective oil/wax.

Ive been doing a lot of floorboard repair, cutting out and replacing sections. On my Youtube outings into carpentry I saw Mr Chickadee make a traditional Korean floor. A bit profligate with timber but if life gives you wood, make lemonade.
I have no idea how long it takes to contruct this insanely precise, nail-free wooden rail flooring system .

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgVekcX_NYk

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
anybody tackle a garden walkway on a slope? I live in a condo complex that borders some town land w/ trails. the entrance to the trails is right behind my unit. over the years the trail entrance wasn't used much & I lazily maintained the grass. someone decided to publicize the trails so now they are getting more use. I can't keep the grass where ppl are walking. I think 2 or 3 modest steps might help but I'm reluctant to experiment. don't want to get in trouble with the condo police & don't want to be held liable if someone falls on whatever I put there. if they slip & fall on wet dirt, that's not my responsibilty
View attachment 595321

Not a lot you can do, especially if you don't own it.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Repainting the back window. Wood in OK condition but there are gaps which need better filler than has been done before, and "knotting" needed as poor prep has led to pealing paint. Ground floor done, now doing the first floor. Decided to see if I could manage it without scaffolding.

How are you anchored at the top? It might be worth checking out lead climbing to understand the different knots and locks you can apply to stop you slipping if you attempt the second floor.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
How are you anchored at the top? It might be worth checking out lead climbing to understand the different knots and locks you can apply to stop you slipping if you attempt the second floor.

Anchors are 8mm through bolts which we use for caving. They look minimal, but they are enough. The niggling worry is the stones being pulled from the wall hence 3 seperate anchors.

I have all the kit and know enough knots !

One slight issue is I've just bought a new rope, as my old one, though little used, was maybe 30 years old, and I also robbed bits off the ends to make new slings and connectors for my kit, so now whilst dangling it needs care to check which bit is part of my kit and what is the actual rope as its all the same colour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom