Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I replaced 4 taps in the bathroom on Sunday. First two on the sink had isolation valves so turned them off and swapped them with no dramas. Popped the bath panel off and found no valves so had to drain the hot and cold down which was easy enough then swapped the taps over and repressurised. Left the bath panel off for a while to check no puddles formed :laugh: When I went back to check there was a small weep from one of sink isolation valves so I drained down again and swapped both for new ones, all sorted now :laugh:

Did that when we re-tiled and moved the bath round. Left the side off the bath (I was tiling it to match) for ages, all OK, no leaks. Tiled the bath, sealed it in, and a couple of months later one of the taps came loose, so water getting in. Had to carefully take the panel off, to find the plastic 'top hats' had split - off to the plumbers merchant for copper ones. Had to refit the panel and re-grout it.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The brakes are on my 'motor'vation and I just keep going round and round. ;)
A weekend down the van is needed…..

fossyant

A weekend down the van is needed…..

OK, 30 minutes and ran out of rope. Thats 50 metres gone... £20 so far. Back on Amazon for 30m..:laugh:

Attachments

• 20210511_170403.jpg
    20210511_170403.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Urgh, things aren't going well at the moment :whistle: Sometime recently the gland seal on the stopcock has started leaking. We only noticed this evening when water started squelching up between the floor tiles in the kitchen next to the sink :sad: I've stopped the leak, but the chipboard floating floor will likely be ruined with that much water sitting on it for several days and a closer inspection suggests the gland was weaping before then. the walls and unit ends are clearly wet about 6" up from the floor around the sink so theres a decent amount of water laying about beneath the surface. Unfortunately it looks like the kitchen is going to have to come out :sad: Looks like I'll be on the phone to the insurers on monday morning 😢

Last edited:
Urgh, things aren't going well at the moment :whistle: Sometime since I changed the taps last Sunday the gland seal on the stopcock has started leaking. We only noticed this evening when water started squelching up between the floor tiles in the kitchen next to the sink :sad: I've stopped the leak, but the chipboard floating floor will likely be ruined with that much water sitting on it for several days and a closer inspection suggests the gland was weaping before then. the walls and unit ends are clearly wet about 6" up from the floor around the sink so theres a decent amount of water laying about beneath the surface. Unfortunately it looks like the kitchen is going to have to come out :sad: Looks like I'll be on the phone to the insurers on monday morning 😢
Try and dry the interface of floor/units, repeatedly until no more wet is apparent, then try and get an edge of a kitchen towel in the interface, then lots of fan heaters (on cold) might, just might stop the chipboard disassembling itself.

irw

Quadricyclist
Urgh, things aren't going well at the moment :whistle: Sometime since I changed the taps last Sunday the gland seal on the stopcock has started leaking. We only noticed this evening when water started squelching up between the floor tiles in the kitchen next to the sink :sad: I've stopped the leak, but the chipboard floating floor will likely be ruined with that much water sitting on it for several days and a closer inspection suggests the gland was weaping before then. the walls and unit ends are clearly wet about 6" up from the floor around the sink so theres a decent amount of water laying about beneath the surface. Unfortunately it looks like the kitchen is going to have to come out :sad: Looks like I'll be on the phone to the insurers on monday morning 😢

Sounds like an opportunity to knock through from the hall to me...!

SWMBO announced this afternoon, "We've got a leak in the kitchen!" and not the vegetable variety :cursing:

By the time I'd removed wallpaper and panelling to access the soil stack it was about 3.45pm, and immediately realising I needed a new pipe boss due the absolute bodgery of whoever fitted the kitchen, (prior to us buying the house), I jumped on t'internet to find out Screwfix and Toolstation would both close at 4pm :eek:

Toolstation is closer a tad clsoer and I was there with about 5 mins to spare.

I have to say that I hate, nay detest anything to do with plumbing, and these bosses in particular never fill me with confidence, but one new boss later and the leak is banished :cheers:

589155 589156

@JhnBssll when the assessors come round you might find yourself pleasantly surprised by the cash settlement figure they might offer you. We had to claim for carpet in upstairs bedroom and couldn’t believe the figure they gave (which was less than going through insurance own company). We have used the proceeds to replace the damaged carpet and also do another room in the house. My wife now jokes about what else we can accidentally damage. Lol

The flip side is I expect my renewal to be expensive!

fossyant

Not so tyred.

Table finished. Grand cost £53, plus two tyres. £40 for the rope, needed about 70m and have 30 left, plus £13 for a pre-cut piece of ply thats now covered in decking oil.

The other option was to find a bistro table and throw away the legs, but that was a bit costly.

irw

Quadricyclist
Not so tyred.

Table finished. Grand cost £53, plus two tyres. £40 for the rope, needed about 70m and have 30 left, plus £13 for a pre-cut piece of ply thats now covered in decking oil.

The other option was to find a bistro table and throw away the legs, but that was a bit costly.
View attachment 589568

View attachment 589569

If you ever want to make another one, give the technical department in your local theatre a call. Every venue I've ever worked at, we've always had dozens, if not hundreds of meters of old hemp rope knocking about waiting to be chucked away, as the lines get renewed fairly frequently.

Proto

Legendary Member
This week I have mostly been upgrading our pantry. Plumbing for a washing machine, fitted some base units. Tomorrow I’m going to have a go at making a worktop from old scaffolding boards to match the shelves.

Attachments

• F2E91D83-7538-439E-A491-90C2247B4879.jpeg
    F2E91D83-7538-439E-A491-90C2247B4879.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 10
  • E926FC81-A315-4151-9602-9A79065F8360.jpeg
    E926FC81-A315-4151-9602-9A79065F8360.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 6EDF5B37-3967-4F03-B19F-F30C35D527AA.jpeg
    6EDF5B37-3967-4F03-B19F-F30C35D527AA.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 7FD9D7BF-D8AC-41F2-BC93-6C8C13B67630.jpeg
    7FD9D7BF-D8AC-41F2-BC93-6C8C13B67630.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 00218CF5-020F-4A14-BF68-90541B733F13.jpeg
    00218CF5-020F-4A14-BF68-90541B733F13.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

fossyant

The electric fire at the caravan has packed in - it's a fake coal fire with a fan blower underneath. It just blows cold air. It's been a bit problematic in the past as it has tripped the electrics (quite sensitive in a van). We don't use it much but it's handy when you first arrive in cold weather until the central heating heats up.

MrsF ordered a 'log burner' style heater via work (another discount) so this morning's job has been removing the 'factory' fitted heater and replacing it. I've managed to salvage the metal surround off the old omne, then 'in-fill' the 2cm gap around the opening (within the frame) with black tape

Last edited:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
its cls treated timber ! yellowish rather than green
Oh dear....that's not going to last long. CLS is Canadian Lumber Standard, and it's usually kiln dried. Its main use is indoors for partitioning and stud work. It certainly isn't pressure treated.

Top Bottom