Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Oh dear....that's not going to last long. CLS is Canadian Lumber Standard, and it's usually kiln dried. Its main use is indoors for partitioning and stud work. It certainly isn't pressure treated.
It’s is pressure treated !! Someone further up asked or said the same thing . It’s defo treated , advertised as so at the builders merchants! Just a different colour ! It’s not the white CLS timber which I’ve also bought which is defo not treated and is for partitioning inside ! CLS is smooth finished rather than rough .

Skim plastered the 3 rough walls of the dining room. I used premixed Thistle skim, not the cheapest material but really easy to apply and finish, easier than multi finish plaster powder. Used pvc not metal corner beads on the chimney. I prefer metal.
Now for the underfloor insulation but this time I know what Im doing.

Proto

Legendary Member
This week I have mostly been upgrading our pantry. Plumbing for a washing machine, fitted some base units. Tomorrow I’m going to have a go at making a worktop from old scaffolding boards to match the shelves.

Slow progress, busy social life, post lockdown, but cupboards fitted. Held up awaiting missing doors from Howdens, but base units in and secured, then finally doors and handles completed.

Scaffolding boards cleaned up, trimmed for the out of square walls, biscuit joints added, and trial fitting in progress.

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
Painted the garden shed today.One coat cover and boy it has done exactly that,top quality Ronseal one coat fence life,unlike two years ago one coat and five coats later i could still see the blue through the Forest Green,it was so bad i e mailed the makers and told them how crap their paint was.Sooooo much easier today.

Yesterday, Miss Salad completed the sale of her flat and moved into a house of her own. It's pretty scruffy, as the last owner doesn't seem to have done any cleaning or DIY for a long time. But it appears structurally sound, and a major campaign of decorating and general tidying up commenced today. Some money will be thrown at the kitchen, some new carpets and a professionally fitted floor in the living room. The rest will be lots of painting and decorating by Mrs Salad and I. One bedroom has been sanded and prepped today, and painting starts tomorrow!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Renovating the Victorian front door. It's one of those jobs that gets more complicated as it goes on. I discovered 7 different colours plus the original graining on the outside. Found a company that makes horizontal locks so the door knob can go in the right place, not too close to the jamb (otherwise you bark your knuckles with a knob rather than a lever).
Now to repair, fill, repaint, and refit the furniture.
IMG_20210604_134756652.jpg

Last edited:

Proto

Legendary Member
Skim plastered the 3 rough walls of the dining room. I used premixed Thistle skim, not the cheapest material but really easy to apply and finish, easier than multi finish plaster powder. Used pvc not metal corner beads on the chimney. I prefer metal.
Now for the underfloor insulation but this time I know what Im doing.

Respect for anyone who can plaster to a decent standard.

Proto

Legendary Member
Slow progress, busy social life, post lockdown, but cupboards fitted. Held up awaiting missing doors from Howdens, but base units in and secured, then finally doors and handles completed.

Scaffolding boards cleaned up, trimmed for the out of square walls, biscuit joints added, and trial fitting in progress.

View attachment 591282
View attachment 591284

View attachment 591287

Finished! Boards tidied up, glued clamped and trimmed to fit. Very pleased with the result. Next project is alteration to the kitchen - remove island and fit two new cupboards. Hopefully save the granite worktop. Pictures to follow.

Hicky

Guru
Hmmm, the splashback behind the sink has swollen.....neither the Ms or the kids dry that area if they've used the sink.
We've been talking about revamping the kitchen for a while as its the only room we've left untouched(I was hoping for another year or two before we started). The problem is we have horrible tiles(painted), all the cupboards have been fitted over them so chipping them off/tidying up and replacing is now a nightmare.....ah bugger.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We had a rather blank and austere wall - actually next door's wall, but it's by the french doors at the back. After painting it white, it looked better, but Mrs PP decided to do some mosaics, and did a lot of experimenting and working out on bits of paper, and now gone for it. Whilst she was very much the creative force, she got frustrated with non sticking cement etc, so I stepped in on the actual implementation, and saved the day if I do say so myself. I guess making all those plastic panzertank kits as a kid gave me the patience. As I said to her I'm sure Michelangelo had a boy in to fill in most of the details on that ceiling job he's famous for. Being in Bristol we went for a balloon them. Two more to go

9F6241D2-7DB4-464D-B786-91BB2813ED44.jpeg

Cutting some floorboards over the weekend and my set square didnt make sense. If I line up along one edge I get a different angle to the other edge.
Turns out my set square is not square. The way to correct the angle is to file the edge from one side, making progressively longer file draws. Now it is sufficiently 90 degrees.

Top Bottom