Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
impressive! do you have a spotter? meaning what if something goes wrong? got a whistle?

The wife's hopefully within shouting range, and she'll check up on me from time to time to make sure I'm not slacking :-) Realistically I don't anticipate a problem apart from needing to fetch tools. Never had an issue caving, albeit always in a group; when ropes are involved at least.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm painting two bedrooms over a 10-day period; son no. 1's has been re-painted in the same colours. Dulux paint, absolutely fine. Valspar (B&Q) trade white gloss was an awful grey - I ended up removing it and using white Dulux instead. Radiator's been spray-painted in white radiator paint as well.

Son no. 2's is being done in different colours. Room prepped with a coat of white on one half as it was a previous bright orange. The ceiling has been Dulux white again and fine, along with the radiator spray-painted as per the other room. I'm now doing the walls in Valspar V700 premium and it's abysmal. The paint appears very liquid and plasticised so if you go back over a section you've just painted it lifts it all off. It's running all over and is taking hours to dry - not the 2-4 hours on the tin. I'm guessing it'll be 3-4 coats needed - again not the 1-2 on the tin. Cleaning any drips, of which there are lots due to it being very runny, only works with a baby wipe which is probably due to the plastic/latex in it. Nasty stuff and I won't be using it again.

I've until the end of Tuesday to finish the walls and then do the woodwork. What I thought would be fine with all the walls done today looks very much otherwise :cursing:

I'm painting two bedrooms
yikes that sounds rough. did I miss any "primer". since we (aka I) fired our painter, I've been finishing the job (1 bedroom). my responsibility has been the windows, trim & doors. white over white. all that's left are the doors. 2 to the room & 4 sliding doors for the walk-in closet. we haven't had the problems you described with coverage or "lifting". I'm not a pro so I only asked about "primer" out of ignorance. I know sometimes pros will sand walls. I wonder if either of those techniques would help you with the paint adhering. sounds like you are committed to your brand of paint, so I won't go look at ours. but happy to if you like

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
B&Q has 20% of farrow and Ball paint FYI. Yes it’s very spendy but it’s quality paint compared to the other crap. I’ve got the hall to do in our house. Which is going to involve some sort of fancy ladder or platform as the stair case is awkward !

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
yikes that sounds rough. did I miss any "primer". since we (aka I) fired our painter, I've been finishing the job (1 bedroom). my responsibility has been the windows, trim & doors. white over white. all that's left are the doors. 2 to the room & 4 sliding doors for the walk-in closet. we haven't had the problems you described with coverage or "lifting". I'm not a pro so I only asked about "primer" out of ignorance. I know sometimes pros will sand walls. I wonder if either of those techniques would help you with the paint adhering. sounds like you are committed to your brand of paint, so I won't go look at ours. but happy to if you like

I've prepared and primed one of the walls. It's made no difference. The other wall has been sanded. A partial solution is to over-paint with a brush any sections that have lifted when I've been doing the edges and that seems to be working.

The constituency of the paint is probably due to the latex they've put in.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just starting the second paint coat on the hallway and the kitchen (super slow drying floor paint). Due to the bloody cats (oh Dad's painting, let's stand on it) I'm doing it in small sections that I can cover/block off until dry. Given the stuff didn't dry well on the first coat, I'm going with 'absolute minimum' paint approach. If a 'mark' isn't covered, I'll do it again when dry. I should manage the whole kitchen with about 10ml of paint this time ! :laugh:

Any 'blemishes' have been sanded out very quickly with the mouse sander. Tried to get some new sanding sheets from B&Q and stock levels were shocking - none. Looked at the shelf prices (no sheets though) and it was something like £10 for 10 sheets of 'mouse paper'. Ebayed, got 80 sheets delivered for £10. :wacko:

Oh and we've found the de-humidifier. My son had lent it to a mate. We don't know when, but it's yet another thing that when we need it, it's usually at said friend's house. :wacko:

fossyant

I've prepared and primed one of the walls. It's made no difference. The other wall has been sanded. A partial solution is to over-paint with a brush any sections that have lifted when I've been doing the edges and that seems to be working.

The constituency of the paint is probably due to the latex they've put in.

Some paints are shockingly bad at coverage. Daughter wanted her room white, after it was purple (after I didn't want it purple). It's took many coats, and it had to be completely dry before trying a second, as it also 'lifted'.

This 'floor paint' has been a mare. Lovely coverage, not much paint used, but my god, it didn't dry - dry as a bone on the surface, the moment you stood on it, it 'moved' under your feet.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Haven't followed the thread but recent posts bring to mind the word 'trade'. I am probably the tightest person in Christendom, but even I fork out the extra for trade paints. They are so much better. Twice the price and worth every penny.

fossyant

We've got 'Trade flooring paint'. I just hope it's worth it when dry. :laugh: Next project will be the Conservatory floor. Everyone banned for two weeks.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Having avoided most DIY since buying our house in 2016 I finally succumbed to investing some money on a few areas of the house this spring.
So far we’ve had a new patio laid in the garden, new LVT flooring throughout most of the ground floor, 4 new windows, a new front door, wooden blinds on most windows and shutters on the bay window and I’ve just finished building a fake chimney breast in the front room because apparently it ‘lacked character’. Last night I started installing some alcove shelving to go in the new alcove.

Im still being harassed for some panelling on a wall in the bedroom and we have a bit of coving / skirting board to finish since the new floor was installed.

Slowly getting there!

Top Bottom