Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Thanks Jowwers.

Next job is to renovate garage #2.

Clear out the junk, roof off, I reckon the main beams are solid enough to remain, I'll add purlins between the beams, new roof in box profile galv sheeting, UPVC fascias, new guttering.

Next door are having a new conservatory fitted because many of the panels habe blown. Ive already baggsied the door and frame and one of the windows to go on the end of the garage. When the house was built you could have driven an austin A35 rpund the back, but no way even a small modern car (and definitely not my XC90) would make it, so its going to be my gym and bulk storgage area.

Current gym is in the conservatory, which is a poor quality single paned thing prone to condensation. That'll be coming down and a sheetload of lovely decking going across the back.

Ive hammered the DIY malarkey very hard if late, but the "lockdown" has given me the motivation to keep busy, so may as well use the time productively.

Here we go. Nothing terribly exciting, but it shields the dreaded wheelie bins from view and prevents them blowing over in the wind when they're empty.
nice neat job. looks like primed, cedar siding?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

Base for the summer house that I’m moving from the opposite end of the garden. Still got a step to build and finish off the sides etc. I’ve ran out of deck screws !

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Grrrr. Simple task, fit new washing machine bearing, done it 5 or 6 times over the years, easy job. Open the machine and find a sealed drum, which is apparently the norm nowadays. Since I already have the bearings and the machine is kapput anyway, I decided to cut the drum on the weld line. So far so good, need some bolts to out it back together and then we'll see.......

Trickedem

Guru
My current project is restoring a large sash window in my breakfast room. I've put it off for 20 years, so glad to be finally getting round to sorting it. I had thought about putting a Upvc replacement in as this is Westerly facing, but have decided to see how well this goes. Total cost will be well short of £100 which includes draught proofing, wood treatment, painting etc.
View attachment 580625
The top sash is in great condition despite not having been opened or painted for probably 30 years.
The bottom sash has some rot on the bottom rail, but I intend to cut out the rot and put a timber fillet in. It looks a lot worse than it actually is.

View attachment 580626
1617204510225.png

the bottom sash was in quite good condition. I have chopped out the rotten edge with a router and prepared a new piece of wood cut from an old door. This is going to be glued and screwed into place.
The top sash was in great condition and it was simply a case of of re-puttying the glass into place. Looks like it is going to take a couple of weeks for this to cure sufficiently so I can paint it though.

gbb

Legendary Member
Decorating...and made the classic mistake, failed to buy decent paint.
B&Q, wife liked Dulux Luxurious Cotton White,.... within 3 minutes I knew it was carp, wishy washy, no opacity, spray off the roller is always a give away. Took it back (more waste of my time and fuel
), changed it for Leyland Trade magnolia, a bit standard but went on like a dream.
One day...I'll remember when it matters :cursing: dont buy the bloody stuff.:smile:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yep some crap paint out there, the trade versions are normally better. I use Johnstones Covaplus for ceilings and walls if going for plain colours. However I do rate Farrow & Ball, also Craig&Rose paint. Ok for a feature wall or small room.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Don't go near Wickes own stuff, just done a room in it, worst paint ever but it was the right colour, and cheap.

Top Bottom