Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Almost finished glazing my omnipurpose garden shed. The workshop/bike shed/greenhouse has a clean scandi design which you cant really buy.
The full length acrylic side windows had to be custom cut to width using stanley knife and nibbled away with plumbing channel pliers.
The roof was too expensive for acrylic so went with polycarbonate twinwall.
The 3 sided gutter system flows well but does it catch heavy runoff from storms. Simulations with hose say probably.

Once the prototype is done, the mk2 shed will be much easier esp if the dimensioning and squareness of all elements is more tightly controlled.

Started the shower project yesterday:

Shower tray and base should arrive end of this week and i need to sort out taps, shower unit and tiles.

anyone have a recommendation for good mould resistant bathroom sealant?
bought a cheap one from a pound store and it went mouldy within a few months.
never though there was much difference in them but seems there could be?

I typically use Soudal and i don't mess around with cheap stuff, Soudal is holding back 4 tons of water in my aquarium but i also use it for other installations around the home unless it's structural and then i use Sika (fix or flex).

gbb

Legendary Member
Soudal as above, Dow Corning, any mainstream established manufacturer should be ok.
Cost is the driver, I suspect any decent mastic is going to be £4 to £7 a tube.
We generally use Dow 786 at work, mildew resistant, never had a problem even in cold stores, warehouses etc.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Dow 785+, used it for years, generally survives quite well.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Had a small-ish shed at the house we moved into 4 years ago, a plastic Ketter thing. Works OK, but too small and not the best looking. I'm told we need a bigger one, so today got the base and floor down for a 2.4 x 3.6 m one. Next job will be knocking up the frame from CLS, not a bad way to spend the days when the sun is shining.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Hows the DIY going @Drago
Inside completed, including voice activated smart lights.

Im a little bit stymied at the moment. Ive some junk to get ride of but need to book the carncil to cart it off. They charge 40 quid, but I cant book them until the new suite arrives in april.

Once its gone I can then start on the 2nd garage. Until then I have some minor mods to do on the summer house, and will build a store for the wheelie bins.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Fitted a new kitchen tap. The pipework was atrocious. The fitters had forced lengths in rather than cutting them to the correct size. All tidy now.

Him next door (who's a kitchen fitter) showed me this little trick.

Put the box spanner that fits the tap nut inside another box spanner. Find the socket that fits the top box spanner and you can get to the tap nut in the narrowest of spaces. The space between the side of our sink and the edge of the cabinet is ~3". Don't know how I'd have done it otherwise.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Got my shed to roof level, all boarded and a coat of bitumen paint on the roof, plus wall painted to keep the weather off. Now has a tarp over the top for the terrible weather that's coming. When time allows it will be clad with log lap and shingles fitted.

newts

Veteran
I'll second Dow corning 785+ for clear/white silicone & Mapei for colours. There's a world of difference between sanitary grade high modulus slicone & poundshop sticky stuff in a tube.

Top Bottom