Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I sleeved it :okay::laugh:

The other holes are, er, ventilation? :whistle:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I sleeved it :okay::laugh:

View attachment 610963

The other holes are, er, ventilation? :whistle:
Every house needs ventilation john lol

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Bit more progress but I've had to finish before I really wanted too as I've run out of 15mm pipe :laugh:

22mm mains cold water extended up to the first floor, terminated with a 1/4 turn ball valve just in case I ever need to isolate everything upstairs:

Mains cold water, hot water and heating flow & return extended in to the void under the stairs to serve the downstairs loo:

And then heres the spaghetti junction of pipes in the corner of the kitchen. The bottom here will be behind a corner unit, the pipes running up the wall will be boxed in again :okay:

I've terminated the heating flow and return pipes above the worktop level, so the kitchen and worktop can go in without my having to worry about making the final connections if I've not had time to progress the downstairs loo - I'll need the floor up and internal walls built before I can finish the heating pipework.

I'll run the heating 15mm pipe up the wall when I get an opportunity, but pleased with todays progress.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Bit more progress but I've had to finish before I really wanted too as I've run out of 15mm pipe :laugh:

22mm mains cold water extended up to the first floor, terminated with a 1/4 turn ball valve just in case I ever need to isolate everything upstairs:

View attachment 611037

Mains cold water, hot water and heating flow & return extended in to the void under the stairs to serve the downstairs loo:

View attachment 611038

And then heres the spaghetti junction of pipes in the corner of the kitchen. The bottom here will be behind a corner unit, the pipes running up the wall will be boxed in again :okay:

View attachment 611039

I've terminated the heating flow and return pipes above the worktop level, so the kitchen and worktop can go in without my having to worry about making the final connections if I've not had time to progress the downstairs loo - I'll need the floor up and internal walls built before I can finish the heating pipework.

View attachment 611040

I'll run the heating 15mm pipe up the wall when I get an opportunity, but pleased with todays progress.
How many projects you got on the go now lol ?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
No turdis I'm afraid - the new bog will be sectioned off from the now larger hall way, making use of the extra 3m2 the extension has given us :okay:

I nearly got the tiling done today - just a little bit behind the back door that I couldn't get to without taking the door off, and since it was already dark I decided to give that a miss :laugh:

I had to pull up the backer board first and put a thin bed of tile adhesive under it, just enough to fill the voids and ensure its fully supported...

I had to work a strip at a time so I wasn't walking on any wet adhesive which frankly was a pain :laugh:

This is where I got to this evening - not many tiles left to put down, but almost all of them are cuts so it won't be quick :laugh:

I prefer this view as it looks more finished :laugh:

I'll try and get the last few tiles cut and laid tomorrow evening, then I can work out when to grout them :okay:

irw

Quadricyclist
@JhnBssll How do you intend to finish the ends of your 'metro' style wall tiles please? I'm keen to use this style in our kitchen, but any that I've seen in the 'real world' all seem to have pretty messy ends with regards to the final full tile/horizontal grout/cut tile and trim interface.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
These wall tiles will be coming down - I put them up 4 or 5 years ago when we gave the old kitchen a bit of a face-lift to get a few more years out of it :laugh: As you rightly point out, the ends and corners were tricky with the bevelled edge as a cut tile end will be thicker than an uncut tile end. I used plastic beading on all edges and corners and did my best to even it up when grouting. I'll take some pics when I can walk on the floor and get close :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I finished putting the tiles down after work this evening. It was dark and raining while I made the last few cuts so I was fairly pleased to get it done :laugh: Tomorrow evening will be a quick wipe down and then grouting! :okay:

In other exciting news the drop kerb is progressing well 😊 They cut the tarmac surface and dug half of it up this morning, leaving half for pedestrian access. After lunch they dug out the old kerb stones and put in the new ones then partially backfilled. Tomorrow morning they'll dig up the rest of the old tarmac then lay the new stuff :okay::becool:

Should be all done by lunchtime, just need to finish the kitchen so I crack on with the driveway now :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Comedy moment this morning as the guys realise they've lost the keys to the roller that's parked on their trailer... they rocked up at 7.05am to crack on and admitted defeat at about 9.15am when the roller finally sprung to life, about half an hour too late to collect any tarmac :laugh: They'll be back in the morning to finish off :laugh:

Despite being stuck in calls til nearly 7 this evening I've managed to get the grout in and wiped. Just waiting for it to go off a bit more before I give it a final wipe over, but I'm pleased with how it's looking. The gunmetal grout is a very close match to the light grey of the new worktop that will be going in :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The kitchen floor is solid now, really pleased with it :okay: I'll start moving things back in later this evening and turn the storage room back in to a living room :laugh: Here's the floor after 3 wipe downs, still slightly hazy in places but that'll clean up with a good mopping now the grout is cured :laugh:

They didnt lose the roller keys overnight this time so the dropped kerb has now been finished :becool:

Not the neatest of joins between old and new, but pretty tricky when you get close up and realise how bad the existing tarmac is - cracked, patched and lumpy all over :laugh: Oh well, when the council get round to doing the paths again it'll get neatened up, which might still be within my lifetime... :tongue:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I spoke to DIY kitchens again yesterday to check the situation regarding our latest delivery date. Irritatingly it has slipped again by at least another 4 days but is still slipping so could be another few weeks away unless they get their driver shortage problems under control :sad: Most frustrating! I haven't had a chance to do any work on the house or drive in the last few days and won't get time for another week or so but when I do get some time I now won't have a kitchen to fit :laugh::rolleyes: Could be an excuse to push on with the driveway I guess :whistle::laugh:

@JhnBssll might be worth checking the contract for force majeure clauses and any liquidation damage clauses to see if you can press for a price reduction and “force” them into getting the kitchen delivered quicker? If they are going to lose a few £££ it might be enough to bump you up the line.

Top Bottom