Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
No he’s not a tradesperson, just a nutter. :laugh:

This is a better answer than I would have given :laugh:

CXRAndy

Guru
Heres the kitchen in daylight 😊

View attachment 623336

I've sent an enquiry off to a company that CNC machines melamine board to build a carcass for the remaining doors to cover the washer/dryer cupboard. I'll wait until I've heard back from them before I do much more in the kitchen so have diverted my attention back to the hallway and new downstairs loo :laugh:

This is the area I'm working with...

View attachment 623335

First job was to uncover the floor boards so I whizzed along the laminate with the circsaw and pulled it up...

View attachment 623334

Its a bit grim around one of the radiator risers but it's all coming up anyway as I need to run the pipes under the floor from below the stairs :okay: With that in mind I readjusted the depth stop on the circsaw and took another pass at it...

View attachment 623333

View attachment 623332

As I'd found elsewhere the vapour barrier is not much use - presumably the whole ground floor is like this. I'll make the best of it but it's not going to be perfect without ripping the entire floor out which I'm just not prepared to do :laugh:

I really need to finalise the wall layout before I go much further :laugh: One bit of potentially good news is that it seems only minimal effort will be needed to re-route the two heating pipes to supply their new radiator but time will tell :laugh:
John, you're doing a smashing (fantastic) job, renovating your home. The way you turn your hands to different tasks, bricklaying, paving, plumbing, electrical and carpentry. Just amazing.

Considering, I built a new house, did all the plumbing, ventilation system and plasterboard works, I know when I need to call in the trades I just dont have the finese to do it all well.

What Im shocked to see, who the hell built your home, the original plumbing is shockingly bad. Ive helped a few trades over the years, plumbing and electrical seems to be invariably poorly done, with little thought to long term reliability or performance.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What Im shocked to see, who the hell built your home, the original plumbing is shockingly bad. Ive helped a few trades over the years, plumbing and electrical seems to be invariably poorly done, with little thought to long term reliability or performance.
what tends to happen is people have new kitchens etc. and pipework/wiring just get's tacked on to the existing in the easiest/cheapest way possible then hidden behind cabinetry.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The house was a bit of an onion with layer upon layer of previous bodgery :laugh: By the time I've done the bathroom everything should be in good fettle again 🤞 I suspect the house was built with electric storage heaters and the central heating was added by an enthusiastic DIY'er. I believe the old kitchen was put in by the previous owners, presumably the pipework and kitchen electrics were bodged at that point. Anyway, every bodge I'm uncovering is making the work more worthwhile so I'm not grumbling too much 😊

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I didn't get a lot done today but did get a chance to extend the heating and water pipes from under the stairs. I've now run out of copper again to will have to collect more in the morning :laugh:

Here's the new pipework connected up ready to be turned on once the rads, taps, toilet etc are connected :okay:

And here are the new bits of pipe coming out from under the stairs :laugh: I'll put a new sub floor down once I've finished piping up and have been able to check for leaks 😊

@JhnBssll It may be too late, but how about a sliding ‘pocket’ door for the loo? That’s what I did when I rejigged ours, and it looks like you’ve got the length in the wall to accommodate it.

I was going to suggest something similar but seen your reply, it looks like the door will open inwards toward the toilet, I can imagine this becoming very annoying over time as you need to close the door to get to the otherside of the loo, how about having it open outwards? Ours does and it works well, only niggle we have is that the front door hits the door if the kids leave it open but that shouldn’t be a problem for you and Mrs bassl.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
No updates on the kitchen - I take it that accounts for the Deliveroo this afternoon :laugh:

(don't worry, I'm not stalking you @JhnBssll , I just happened to be passing as it was delivered)

Jenkins

Legendary Member
@Jenkins - you could have stopped to help, and the kitchen might* be closer to completion :whistle:

*Might because if it was me there would be a pile of collapsed cupboards and a giant hole in the floor.
I didn't think he'd have ordered enough to accomodate an extra person for dinner, so didn't want to impose.

As for the DIY, forget it as my level is even worse than yours.

Top Bottom