Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I felt a bit better when I realised the window sill will throw a big shadow over a lot of the 'problem area' once installed in a few weeks :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I still need to paint the brickwork and bed the slabs in mortar but the steps are at least functional for now :okay: I did manage to knock one of the bricks off before the mortar had set so I'll need to fix that when I've got another barrow full mixed. I also need to cement the roof tiles down on either side but these jobs can wait for slightly warmer weather.

Just the rest left to do now :okay:

I've seen worse on new housing estates, bricklaying looks easy, untill you try it! Timber is far easier to use, well done for even having a go. You should be proud of your efforts.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The new front door and window finally went in today which means I now just need to get the flashing sorted before I can knock through :okay: Pretty exciting, I'm really pleased with how it's turning out :becool:

Should look even better when the steps are finished and painted and the brickwork below damp course has had another coat to cover where it was washed off :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Looks good! Is it just the bricks, or do you have a leak on the right hand side? It sort of appears that the bricks on that corner are all damp?

I'm not sure, I'm keeping my eye on that too. Before the guttering went up we had a few days of pretty heavy rain and the downpipe was discharging down that end, spilling down the wall and washing the paint off in the process. I suspect it's still wet from then as the weather has been cold and humid ever since. Theres no sign of leaks internally so I'm expecting it to dry out eventually but if not I'll investigate further :okay:

Gunk

Guru
I'm not sure, I'm keeping my eye on that too. Before the guttering went up we had a few days of pretty heavy rain and the downpipe was discharging down that end, spilling down the wall and washing the paint off in the process. I suspect it's still wet from then as the weather has been cold and humid ever since. Theres no sign of leaks internally so I'm expecting it to dry out eventually but if not I'll investigate further :okay:

I wouldn’t worry, they do take a while to dry out and it has been very cold and damp, a couple of warm sunny days and that corner will dry out.

Top Bottom