Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thanks Drago, much obliged :okay: I don't always get it right first time but this seems to be going well so far :laugh:

I've finished laying the full blocks and done the first few cuts before I decided it was probably more sensible to be working in daylight so packed up for the day :laugh:

Heres the drive with all the full blocks laid

And then the first few cuts...

And how I've left it for the night. I'll likely crack on in the morning.

Gunk

Guru
Looks very professional

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Sorry Colin, I'm just not very quick :laugh:

I've been out working on it since 9am, and accompanied by MrsBssll for a large amount of it - she's been my labourer for the day :laugh: Great progress with just the cuts along the front to do now before we can whack it again and declare this side finished :laugh: I need to hire a whacker with a rubber pad under the plate before I go over the top as otherwise I think I'll mess the blocks up - once the final cuts are done tomorrow and I've brushed granite dust in to the last few gaps I'll start on the other side with the aim of getting it to the same state so I can hire a whacker just for a day and get it all done in one go :okay:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Just read the entire thread in one hit. My eyes hurt.

V impressive work though. Thought I was ambitious when I improved this place 20 years ago, but my work doesn't begin to compare.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Can't you use FIL's whacker with an offcut of rubber over the plate - the granite dust will take most of the impact anyway.

Yeah possibly but I dont have an offcut of rubber. I spotted a few universal kits that require bolting to the whacker but a) I don't fancy drilling holes in FIL's whacker and b) for an extra tenner I can hire one for a day :laugh: For the £40 quid it'll cost me to hire one I don't think it's worth the hassle in this instance, although if I had some of the van flooring left over I might think differently :laugh:

We cracked on today and made some more good progress. The end of the driveway work is in sight :laugh:

Here the cuts are done on the first section minus a few in the corners and I've levelled off the granite on the next bit ready for whacking.

And here it is whacked, levelled and with the first of the blocks laid. Early finish today :okay::laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I got the last of the full blocks laid this evening on the other side.

Looking at the forecast I need to try and get the cuts done in the next few days and whack it all again asap as it looks like it's getting wet over the weekend and in to next week. I've been pretty lucky with the weather to date so I won't grumble if it delays things, I've still got 12 days until the car arrives :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The drive is dangerously close to finished now :laugh: We spent a few hours outside after work and got a lot of cuts done, just a handful more to do after work tomorrow then I can brush sand in to this bit and think about hiring a whacker :becool:

With all the whacking a couple more of the slate slabs have come loose so I'll have to mix up some SBR slurry and stick them back down at some point :whistle: I laid them before I knew of the magical SBR trick which I used on the steps and wall coping stones, I've had to stick a few back down already so it was only a matter of time :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Don't forget that porch roof lead flashing needs extending...

Indeed, this is high on my list of priorities once the kitchen and block paving are done :okay:

I had a lazy evening today 😊 I've got a rubber pad arriving tomorrow, had a change of heart about the whacker situation so will try and adapt the one I've got. It needs a service anyway before I give it back to father in law so may as well kill two birds with one stone and fit the pad at the same time, whack it all down, then take it back to him in fine fettle with a new additional feature :laugh: I'll do the last few cuts after work tomorrow too.

The worktop guys are coming back tomorrow afternoon to sort the last few bits that weren't quite right so hopefully I can fit the hob and tap very soon too :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The weather's been reet grim here today and isn't showing much sign of improving tomorrow. As a result I've spent a few hours in the kitchen today rather than working on the drive - that can wait for now :laugh:

First job was to fit the new kitchen tap - this was super fiddly but I'd left myself just enough room to tighten the bolt and connect the flexi hoses. If I were to do it again I'd leave a little more space :laugh: The new tap combined with new 22mm pipework means the old roar of the old tap is a thing of the past, in fact theres so much pressure available you can make quite a mess with it if you're not careful :laugh: This photo is the tap turned on about halfway :laugh:

Next job was to fit the new hob... I had to cut a little out of the units as the hob is 50mm deep underneath and the worktop is 30mm. I taped around the new worktop to protect it then whizzed around with a jigsaw :okay:

Next job it was time to fit some door handles 😊 It's starting to look like a kitchen now for sure :okay:

Top Bottom