Home made ice cream

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
My sister and I made strawberry ice cream when we were kids. The one thing I remember about it is that it didn't taste like strawberry until we added the squeeze of orange juice required by the recipe. Knowing what I know now about flavours and fragrances I guess it must have been the sharp pungent aldehydes in the orange juice that did it.
Balsamic vinegar. I promise you, it's amazing.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I went through a phase of making loads of ice cream. This, by Alastair Little, was far and away the best. Note the bit about the colour of the caramel - it's what makes it a proper grown-up ice cream.

DSCF3538.JPG

You could even serve it with a tarte tatin and a bottle of this, for caramel sensory overload:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIxdWwoMPiD-E7hXZsc5TDUANyFDAfA69lgKCkuuZBPr-U2QQ37Tnu3VMi.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Incidentally, if you don't have a machine and can't be arsed with the beating routine, then just make something that's not technically ice-cream at all but hits all the same buttons. Aldo Zilli's pine-nut semifreddo is brilliant. You do need three bowls, and preferably an electric whisk, but it's very easy to make and freezes quickly. Note if serving it to others that it has uncooked eggs in it. You'll notice a caramel theme developing, but the caramel in this one wants to be a fair bit lighter than in the ice-cream above.

DSCF3540.jpg

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Incidentally, if you don't have a machine and can't be arsed with the beating routine, then just make something that's not technically ice-cream at all but hits all the same buttons. Aldo Zilli's pine-nut semifreddo is brilliant. You do need three bowls, and preferably an electric whisk, but it's very easy to make and freezes quickly. Note if serving it to others that it has uncooked eggs in it. You'll notice a caramel theme developing, but the caramel in this one wants to be a fair bit lighter than in the ice-cream above.

View attachment 385496
I’ll have to read that properly on the laptop. Can’t see it easily on the mobile. Ta for the link

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Baileys ice cream, with loads out Baileys. No idea how to make ice cream but our chefs knock this up on board at Christmas.
A little experimentation may be required some time in the next few weeks, I do a Bailey's cheesecake recipe that my mum gave me about 20 years ago.

I've also done a Amaretto ice cream in the past... err quite soft set :whistle:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
A little experimentation may be required some time in the next few weeks, I do a Bailey's cheesecake recipe that my mum gave me about 20 years ago.

I've also done a Amaretto ice cream in the past... err quite soft set :whistle:

I have a recipe for making your own Baileys that a friends dad used to do.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've dug out my recipe book - a bit cold for ice-cream today though....

7oz raspberries
6oz caster sugar
1tsp lemon juice
1 tsp cold water

Method:
1. Liquidise everything
2. Sieve to take the seeds out
3. Pour into plastic tub and freeze.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member

View attachment 385496
"Lower the heat to a simmer and stir gently to coat the nuts." Paging @Fnaar - again!

Top Bottom