Honest opinions on a proper bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I initially set my bikes up with Bernard Hinaults 'Racing and Training Techniques' book.

It's very straight forward to follow, and the formulas are in line with the measurements used today. You will, of course, tweak these, but using the online resources do help.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh yes, i am pretty crocked :biggrin:

Last edited:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Are you sure your bike is right for you? You can indeed watch as many vids and guides on getting it right but if it's completely wrong for you this may be a massive factor- I feel the fitter would be the best to give you that advice.
@Mr Haematocrit how did you avoid paying for yours? I was going to try to get it included ;) in my next C2W voucher so that it's set up from the start to try to avoid a £100-£150 bill.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you sure your bike is right for you? You can indeed watch as many vids and guides on getting it right but if it's completely wrong for you this may be a massive factor- I feel the fitter would be the best to give you that advice.
@Mr Haematocrit how did you avoid paying for yours? I was going to try to get it included ;) in my next C2W voucher so that it's set up from the start to try to avoid a £100-£150 bill.
I think because. Mr H spends multiples of £1000 on each bike....I'd expect a free for too on that basis! There is a retailer in London that does free retul fits on carbon bikes etc over £1000. Another round here used to do bg on bike purchases over £x

I'd be surprised if you'd get with a c2w purchase as retailers already pay a cut to participate and take the vouchers, hence ribble,for example have a 10% surcharge on c2w

The advantage of retul is you get a print out of all of the measurements, so if handy with a tape measure, you should be able to replicate or close on other bikes? I dk if bg is the same

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

I had a retul fit a couple of weeks ago (£150), and done a few hundred miles since then, including 72 on Monday and a hilly (for me) 47 miles yesterday. I have all sorts of bio mechanical issues down my left side mainly, some historical and some following injury/surgery earlier this year. Main symptoms pain in knee (not surprising as I have two meniscus tears and mild-moderate arthritis) and low back pain, around kidney area. My physio has diagnosed this as sacroiliac joint pain, common in cyclists. I am not what you call flexible and have history of back, knee and shin surgery, and elbow surgery, on the left.

For me the aim is comfort on the bike, and not achieving speed, pedalling efficiency, which seemed more the fitter's aim. The two probably are linked and also, perhaps a feature of where I had it done and by whom (a race oriented shop, and a guy who races).

The fit included, putting up the saddle around 60mm, adjusting saddle angle and position, flipping the stem, adjusting cleats, i think he slightly adjusted the tilt of the bars too.

Has it helped, hard to say really at this point. I have put the saddle down a bit as I simply didn't feel safe riding in traffic and especially having to stop quickly in traffic. I need to be able to get my foot down, without my toes cramping! The pavement isn't always available as a foot rest!

I have had quite a lot of foot pain, numb toes, although this was better yesterday. I have emailed with the fitter about this, he says I need to get used to the position which he says is correct, again for efficiency. I am persevering. This had even started during the fit while pedalling on the turbo. I also need to wear orthotics so my feet aren't perfectly formed either!

To the OP, it is certainly worth a try. However, if you can't really afford the actual fit, could you afford to change component, stem, bars, cranks, or heaven forbid be told the bike is actually the wrong size. I knew my bike size was ok and the components, although the bike fitter did say initially that he would probably would have fitted me as a 56cm rather than 54cm, but after the fitting process he was happy all was the correct size.

oP - I would also see a physiotherapist in conjunction with the fit, or find a fitter who is a trained physio if you can, get an exercise/stretching programme, given your issues, look at core and flexibility

I am in the middle of an ongoing rehab physio programme so I think only time will tell for me, there are however a lot of variables, so I may never know whether the fit was worth it. The experience was interesting however and the cash aspect wasn't a deal breaker ultimately

:smile:
I don't think I have the wrong bike size (I could be wrong) I have the boardman carbon in medium which is 53cm and I'm 5ft 11

I do get what feels like really bad kidney pain if I push hard while seated up hill, it makes it worse as I can't take deep breaths cos it really pinches, I'm unsure if it's actually my knideys or my muscle, it tends to be mainly my left side

The Retul fit that I could have done is a new guy who's just set up, don't know much about him other than he is a ex army instructor but the reviews on his Facebook page are fantastic

The BG fit I could have done is from a very reputable lbs, I've spoken to them and they spend 3-4 hours fitting you which includes testing your flexibility, again amazing reviews about them, if I do get a fit I'm leaning towards them as I said earlier they have win awards for their fits and this morning found out they do fits for semi pros, they even done a fit for an amputee that traveled flew in from abroard to get fit by them

I like the advanced fit technology if the retual but the lbs that does the BG fit seems like the safer bet

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Hi Jason, are you talking about Narberth, Pembrokeshire cycles, or something along those lines?

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Hi Jason, are you talking about Narberth, Pembrokeshire cycles, or something along those lines?
County cycles in crosshands pal

vickster

Legendary Member
According to my physio, the kidney pain is sacro iliac, the hip is shifting
Read around online, see a sports physio, work on core

Tbh I didn't think there was anything special about retul and as it was a hot day the harness kept coming adrift which was annoying

I'd see the bg ones you mention, experience and knowledge key

How is your flexibility?

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

According to my physio, the kidney pain is sacro iliac, the hip is shifting
Read around online, see a sports physio, work on core

Tbh I didn't think there was anything special about retul and as it was a hot day the harness kept coming adrift which was annoying

I'd see the bg ones you mention, experience and knowledge key

How is your flexibility?
My flexibility is not to bad, I'm certainly no gymnast but I can touch the floor without bending my knees ha ha

My core strength isn't great and I know it's something I need to work on

vickster

Legendary Member
Core will be a cause, but get the fit done or see a physiotherapist for a proper assessment and programme. It'll be worth the outlay especially as you seem to be getting all sorts of issues. I don't get neck / shoulder issues (much)

You have bought an expensive bike, which is uncomfortable, seems a bit of a no brainer to get it to fit right, after all you are coughing up all that cash for sportives you aren't enjoying!

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Core will be a cause, but get the fit done or see a physiotherapist for a proper assessment and programme. It'll be worth the outlay especially as you seem to be getting all sorts of issues. I don't get neck / shoulder issues (much)

You have bought an expensive bike, which is uncomfortable, seems a bit of a no brainer to get it to fit right, after all you are coughing up all that cash for sportives you aren't enjoying!
Totally agree with you, just need to persuade her to let me spend £100.........big thumb print on my head ha ha

Top Bottom