Honest opinions on a proper bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason.T

Firstly I apologise as this has probably been asked a million times before

I'm looking for honest opinions on a bike fit from those who have had one

I've been riding for a little over 12 months, fitness wise I can do 50-60 miles fairly comfortably

I have completed one 110 mile sportive but not with ease, I failed at 75 miles last weekend on another 100 miler for a number of reasons and one of them was comfort

I can ride 20 miles and feel fairly comfortable but after that the discomfort sets in and becomes worse and worse, last weekend I was so uncomfortable I just couldn't concentrate on pedaling

Went for a 30 miler tonight and on the way home all I did was shuffle myself all over the bike to try and find some comfort

It's damn annoying as there are times where I have plenty left in the legs but I have to stand up or even stop, my hips back neck shoulders and arms all hurt, last weekends sportive I was so uncomfortable I just didn't enjoy it

I've set the bike up through YouTube vids and website recommendations etc but as said once I hit 20 miles or so I just want to get off

Can't really afford a bike fit but if it will make all the difference then I will do it,

Is there anyone that's been in the same situation as me then gone and had a bike fit and did it really make that much difference???

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
A bike fit was a game changer for me.
I've had Retul and BG bike fits

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

A bike fit was a game changer for me.
I've had Retul and BG bike fits
Which in your opinion was the better fit?

There is a place about 15 miles from me that does the Retul fit and just a little further a lbs that does a BG fit and has one many awards for it and been so successful that they were featured I a magazine

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Either are only as good as the fitter is knowledgeable.
There is a lot of cross over between the theory's of BG and RETUL as they are both owned by Specialized.
Both fits provided me with pretty much the same data, Retul used a slightly longer stem and the seat slightly forward though.

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Either are only as good as the fitter is knowledgeable.
There is a lot of cross over between the theory's of BG and RETUL as they are both owned by Specialized.
Both fits provided me with pretty much the same data, Retul used a slightly longer stem and the seat slightly forward though.
It will probably come down to prise as to which one I choose then

I know the BG fit is £100 but don't know the prise of the Retul fit yet

Cameronmu917772

get on google and youtube and research it. grab a buddie and help each other out. has made a massive difference to my riding

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

get on google and youtube and research it. grab a buddie and help each other out. has made a massive difference to my riding
That's pretty much what I've done, I've got a couple of small adjustments I'm going to try to see if they make a difference before I try and persuade the misses to let me spend £100+

vickster

Legendary Member
I had a retul fit a couple of weeks ago (£150), and done a few hundred miles since then, including 72 on Monday and a hilly (for me) 47 miles yesterday. I have all sorts of bio mechanical issues down my left side mainly, some historical and some following injury/surgery earlier this year. Main symptoms pain in knee (not surprising as I have two meniscus tears and mild-moderate arthritis) and low back pain, around kidney area. My physio has diagnosed this as sacroiliac joint pain, common in cyclists. I am not what you call flexible and have history of back, knee and shin surgery, and elbow surgery, on the left.

For me the aim is comfort on the bike, and not achieving speed, pedalling efficiency, which seemed more the fitter's aim. The two probably are linked and also, perhaps a feature of where I had it done and by whom (a race oriented shop, and a guy who races).

The fit included, putting up the saddle around 60mm, adjusting saddle angle and position, flipping the stem, adjusting cleats, i think he slightly adjusted the tilt of the bars too.

Has it helped, hard to say really at this point. I have put the saddle down a bit as I simply didn't feel safe riding in traffic and especially having to stop quickly in traffic. I need to be able to get my foot down, without my toes cramping! The pavement isn't always available as a foot rest!

I have had quite a lot of foot pain, numb toes, although this was better yesterday. I have emailed with the fitter about this, he says I need to get used to the position which he says is correct, again for efficiency. I am persevering. This had even started during the fit while pedalling on the turbo. I also need to wear orthotics so my feet aren't perfectly formed either!

To the OP, it is certainly worth a try. However, if you can't really afford the actual fit, could you afford to change component, stem, bars, cranks, or heaven forbid be told the bike is actually the wrong size. I knew my bike size was ok and the components, although the bike fitter did say initially that he would probably would have fitted me as a 56cm rather than 54cm, but after the fitting process he was happy all was the correct size.

oP - I would also see a physiotherapist in conjunction with the fit, or find a fitter who is a trained physio if you can, get an exercise/stretching programme, given your issues, look at core and flexibility

I am in the middle of an ongoing rehab physio programme so I think only time will tell for me, there are however a lot of variables, so I may never know whether the fit was worth it. The experience was interesting however and the cash aspect wasn't a deal breaker ultimately

:smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom