Honest opinions on a proper bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you've got children, that's a good place to start ;) :biggrin:

Remember if you start needing to change components, the price could start to mount up

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Absolutely! The best thing I've ever done cycling wise.

My saddle was put up higher than I'd had it and my handlebars were lowered by 5mm - that's something I would have never had done myself.

Effyb4

Veteran
I had a bike fit about a month ago. I had a feeling my new bike was a bit big for me because I was getting numbness and tingling in my hands and I felt a bit stretched out. The guy who did the fit was fantastic. I explained that I wanted comfort over speed and he completely took my views into account when doing the fit. I was also a bit concerned that I wasn't your typical roadie (being female, slightly overweight, recovering from heart surgery and not wanting to go very fast). I needn't have worried, he put me completely at ease.

He gave me narrower handlebars, a shorter stem. He raised the saddle a bit and gave me insoles for my trainers. It took a couple of weeks to get used to the fit, but now the bike is much more comfortable and I have increased in speed a bit as well.

If you can afford it. I would say it is well worth the money.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
USER=17260]@Mugshot[/USER] would you recommended Pembrokeshire cycles for a bike fit, I've never been there
Sorry Jason, I havent had a bike fit, although Im planning to eventually. Pembrokeshire cycles seem to have decent reviews so I was wondering if it was them you were talking about.
Cross Hands is a little further away than I thought you were talking about, I'd love to know how you get on though please.

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Sorry Jason, I havent had a bike fit, although Im planning to eventually. Pembrokeshire cycles seem to have decent reviews so I was wondering if it was them you were talking about.
Cross Hands is a little further away than I thought you were talking about, I'd love to know how you get on though please.
Booked a fit for Tuesday afternoon, will report back, crosshands is about 30 miles from me

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Sold the kids already? Excellent :biggrin:
Ha I've done a deal with her, once I put my point across she agreed, I kind of said you wouldn't buy a sofa that was uncomfortable, was going to try it with shoes but that wouldn't work with her, she has many shoes that are uncomfortable

puffinbilly

Veteran
I would go along with @vickster idea of selling something - think your best bet would be one of your kidneys - benefits would be two fold - you'd raise the cash and rid of that annoying kidney pain when climbing :laugh:

Ha I've done a deal with her, once I put my point across she agreed, I kind of said you wouldn't buy a sofa that was uncomfortable, was going to try it with shoes but that wouldn't work with her, she has many shoes that are uncomfortable

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Got my bike fit this afternoon and typically I've pulled a muscle in my back, taken a strong pain killer and going to have a hot bath, hope it eases a bit :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
Ouch, you may want to postpone if not feeling fit. You'll need to hop on and off the bike on a turbo trainer. Towards the end when the saddle was so high, I needed a step ladder!

OP
OP
Jason.T

Jason.T

Ouch, you may want to postpone if not feeling fit. You'll need to hop on and off the bike on a turbo trainer. Towards the end when the saddle was so high, I needed a step ladder!
It's quite painful but the more I move about the better it is, it was quite painful yesterday but improved as I was moving about yesterday, same again today it's easing as the morning goes on, I can still touch my toes ha ha and get on and off the bike so I think I'll be fine

Top Bottom