Honey can kill babies!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
It's one of those things that seems worth knowing and worth passing on Rich but TBH I'd never heard of this either. I just mentioned it to Mrs. Admin and she nodded away and said "Oh yes, you don't give honey to babies, it's got some bacteria or something in it that can be harmful to them - until they're about 1 or so."

Good job she did all the food prep. for Little Ms. Admin when she was a nipper then eh!! ;)

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Just checked the jar in the cupboard and the local honey wot we buy makes no mention of this - maybe I should report them to the police a la Black Bag out of Viz and have them sent to prison.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My son used to have honey in his porridge I think.

I've since learnt about the risk, but only because I've since nursed infant's with a case of honey induced botulism!
:eek: I always thought it was one of those things it told you about but didn't actually happen.

Sandra6

Veteran
I remember being told not to give honey to babies, but not until around the third child.
I can't stand honey, so it wasn't something we ever had in the house, so they never had it anyway.
I seem to remember it had something to do with imported honey, but I could be wrong.
It's just another of the foods they've added to the list of things not to feed your child, it's a constantly changing list just like the one of things not to eat/drink when you're pregnant. I'm not surprised people lose track of what is or isn't acceptable.

Arch

Married to Night Train
2342798 said:
This is now getting way too complicated. Why are the younger children more susceptible?

I think Sandra just means the advice didn't come in until she'd already had a couple.

I guess babies under a year old have less robust immune systems when it comes to ingesting harmful stuff. I wonder if it's something to do with weaning - while on breast milk, perhaps the baby is at less risk of food poisoning...

Wobblers

Euthermic
nah, he's a weasel he'd just bite the hand feeding him unless of course you weren't using a metaphor. If you and 3BM are actually into the adult nappy and baby feed scene then even honey isn't enough to sweeten the deal.

Oh and despite his stature I don't think Rich would be into the adult nappy bit either.

There that feels more like it, not quite back on form but back on my feet and swinging wildly

This is what you call "on form"??? Deeply disturbed is somewhat closer to the mark (I'm always on form :thumbsup: ).

This baby definitely wasn't given a honey!

19760.jpg

Top Bottom