Horrible article on Velorution, WTF were they thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

spindrift

P.S. Below the fold are some of the emails I have received. I would like to single out one remark that is characteristic of the prevalent hypocrisy. Amsterdamize called my previous post “dishonest and discriminatory” and claims that “rather the majority than the minority of (1st/2nd and 3rd generation) of immigrants (most naturalised) uses the bicycle.” How come then, one has to look very hard among the hundreds of photographs he publishes, to see a dark face on a bike. Who is the racist now?
P.P.S. I admit that the title I used has distasteful connotations and its use for effect may have irked people; it is however UK Government policy to expel foreign criminals, and the treatment I was subjected to by several drivers in Streatham last Saturday night was nothing but criminal.
P.P.S. I will gladly bet £1000 with anyone willing to dispute that people who drive cars with tinted windows are more aggressive and less respectful of cyclists and pedestrians than average.
Due ruote e un orgasmo, originally uploaded by Luca Arese

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
The language? Yes, but I suspect that the intention was not to be racially charged, I think the intention was to come out with a provocative article to get people talking; that was successful, but for all the wrong reasons.

Yes, the language!!! I bolded it in this post for you:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=337618&postcount=22

I have been talking about his use of certain words - it was you who was trying unpack what he may or may not have been trying to say.

The guy is using inflammatory, racially insensitive language to be polemical - that makes him a racist in my eyes.

I don't know what his intention was, but it's a piss poor piece of writing, predicated on a confused conceit with racist overtones.

Cab

Origamist said:
Yes, the language!!! I bolded it in this post for you:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=337618&postcount=22

I have been talking about his use of certain words - it was you who was trying unpack what he may or may not have been trying to say.

The guy is using inflammatory, racially insensitive language to be polemical - that makes him a racist in my eyes.

I don't know what his intention was, but it's a piss poor piece of writing, predicated on a confused conceit with racist overtones.

Use of the wrong language doesn't make someone racist, intent makes someone racist. Using the wrong terminology is simple ignorance.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

User1314, unless you post pictures of black Amazonian stunners with thighs that could crack a walnut I am reporting you to the authorities for racism.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Use of the wrong language doesn't make someone racist, intent makes someone racist. Using the wrong terminology is simple ignorance.

Oh dear, this is opening a window to your personality that I am finding it distasteful.

Cab

Origamist said:
Oh dear, this is opening a window to your personality that I am finding it distasteful.

Now you're just trolling.

Go on, call me a racist now, or compare me with Hitler.

boffo

Cab said:
I tend to think that her article is far more dreadfully written than it is malicious.

Bit surprised to see people referring to Andrea as female. Andrea is male (and Italian, I think - it's the Italian equivalent of Andrew). I know this because I bought my Brompton from his shop last year.

Not sure how knowing he's an immigrant himself alters the discussion ...

boffo said:
Bit surprised to see people referring to Andrea as female. Andrea is male (and Italian, I think - it's the Italian equivalent of Andrew). I know this because I bought my Brompton from his shop last year.

Not sure how knowing he's an immigrant himself alters the discussion ...

Aren't there a lot of fascists in Italy?

(just saying)

Wolf04

Original article was IMO racist.
The revised article was IMO an attempt at politically correct racism.
If people want to dicuss the effect of immigration on cycling or any other aspect of society then go for it but don't use this bollox as the basis.

Origamist

Legendary Member
From the Velorution blog:

http://www.velorution.biz/

Two important corrections:
  1. I was talking yesterday to a gentleman from NedRail (the Dutch railways), who is responsible for selling Dutch expertise in bicycle infrastructure and integration to Network Rail and TfL (more of specific plans in a future posting). He told me that in the Netherlands there are special introductory cycling courses designed for immigrants, similar to the free adult courses offered by most London boroughs [Also of note: Jagonari, a Women’s Centre based in Whitechapel in East London, which has created a new bicycle training course for local Bengali women]. He was keen to point out that these courses are successful and immigrants from all cultures integrate in the country’s cycling way of life. My previous post may be interpreted differently, and I stand corrected. Incidentally my original source, was Workcycle (in this post), which I regard an expert commentator of the Dutch cycling world.
  2. Even though I have sometimes used “we”, rather than “I”, the writings and opinions of this blog can be attributed to me only, Andrea, proprietor of Velorution, and do not represent those of the staff working here, who are much more polite and diplomatic. It is therefore your pregorative not to shop here if offended by what I have written, but please do not harass people working here: they are all here to help you in choosing the most appropriate cycling equipment and to ensure it runs safely and smoothly.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yeah, that's all very well, but that's not what he said in the original article at all. He just had a massive racist splurge against just about every one , including Jews and Cockneys. Now correct me I'm wrong but Andrea is a rather more recent immigrant than most cockneys, and my Jewish ancestors have been here for over 100 years. Perhaps Andrea needs a special course in British traditions of tolerance. He would still do better to remove the original racist article, apologise and, if all he is suggesting is courses in cycling awareness for immigrants then write one about that. As it happens, I still disagree that there is anything particlarly bad about the way that recent immigrants treat cyclists - the worst incidents that I have had have all been with very much white British drivers... so everyone should have courses in cycling awareness - nothing stupid, racist or controversial there is there, and everyone benefits...

If he has put his staff at risk too, then he is even more of an idiot and shouldn't be running a business, or at least stay in the background and shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom