Horse riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And what is more, since it washes away in the rain, I would like to see a bit more of it. Not stopped raining round here for a week!

D

Deleted member 26715

:laugh::whistle: Missed the obvious there. Thought it might be a way to tell if they were agitated
It does, also watch the ears, forward intrigued, happy, back concerned, aggressive

Jody

Stubborn git
It does, also watch the ears, forward intrigued, happy, back concerned, aggressive

The horses ears did go back before it started having a stress last week, but I assumed it was trying to listen out for me as I was behind it.

Iv'e always wanted to have a ride on a horse but don't trust that it has a brain and can do what it wants if needs must.

Nibor

Bewildered
While out for a ride on Sunday we approached a rider from the rear I gave a ping of the bell about 50 metres short of her so she was aware and as i approached closer I asked if it was "safe to pass?" she seemed genuinely overwhelmed that we had taken this much care and was very grateful. My thought is that passing 1/2 a tonne of unpredictable animal demands all the care you can give it.

D

Deleted member 26715

My thought is that passing 1/2 a tonne of unpredictable animal demands all the care you can give it.
Must have been a very small horse, but I like your style, I always slow & ask coming from either direction.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A horse reared in front of me as I was driving in rural north Yorkshire last week.

I was well back and stayed there.

The young rider hung on then smacked the horse on the top of its head.

I doubt that's in any riding manual, but it worked, and she was suitably grateful to me as I crept past.

I still think they should clean up after them selves are you advising going around every corner a 5 mph in case a horsepoo has been spread across the road. People get fined for dropping a cigarette butt but if you drop 15 kilos of partially digested grass in the street that is ok
So every rider has to go out equipped with a wheelbarrow and fork. Really?

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Rag and bone men used to have a bucket hanging off the back of the trailer, but I think that was only a courtesy.

No legal requirement for a horse rider to collect the horse's poo, not least because many would struggle to remount without a leg up or a low wall to stand on.

Some farms still have 'mounting walls' - a flight of steps built beside the wall for the rider to walk up.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some farms still have 'mounting walls' - a flight of steps built beside the wall for the rider to walk up.
Quite a few milestones, particularly in E Yorkshire, also double up as mounting blocks.
mounting-block-and-milestone-lund-east-yorkshire-england-uk-united-B3XGX6.jpg

Top Bottom