House guests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barq

Anyone else here had house guests for too long a while? I've been playing hotels for the last three weeks. I know it doesn't sound long but I need my space again! I've got two more weeks to go and I'm wondering if I can make it without murdering someone. ;)

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
An excellent reason for getting out on your bike.;)

yenrod

barq said:
Anyone else here had house guests for too long a while? I've been playing hotels for the last three weeks. I know it doesn't sound long but I need my space again! I've got two more weeks to go and I'm wondering if I can make it without murdering someone. ;)

This reminds me of a good mate of mine.

Occasionally, his uncles stay...

As soon as they arrive he cant wait to get rid of them...

:biggrin:

Its like a rolling joke with respects.

gbb

Legendary Member
I had my brother and family stay for a couple of months when their house was damaged by fire many years ago. Yes, it's hard ;)

My daughter, SIL and grandson had a house fire last year (there's a pattern developing here :biggrin:) and were going to stay for a couple of months while theirs was rebuilt.
We lasted a week and a half :biggrin::wacko:. I think they got as fustrated as we did. They arranged accomodation quite quicky :smile:

Its probably best to be up front when there are frictions, but do it in a friendly way and dont sulk off. Talk about it.

OP
OP
barq

barq

Funnily enough the person I'm struggling with the most, my uncle's 'special' female friend, is very upfront. So far today: the doormat is wrong, the downstairs toilet lacks a lid, the pasta I made was too small (the actual pasta shells, not portion size), my cat is too hairy, cucumber isn't normally served with its skin, "why are those trees over there like that?"...

Please tell me someone else has had mad house guests! ;)

wafflycat

barq said:
Funnily enough the person I'm struggling with the most, my uncle's 'special' female friend, is very upfront. So far today: the doormat is wrong, the downstairs toilet lacks a lid, the pasta I made was too small (the actual pasta shells, not portion size), my cat is too hairy, cucumber isn't normally served with its skin, "why are those trees over there like that?"...

Please tell me someone else has had mad house guests! :biggrin:

Oh dear. If she's doing that she needs to be politely and firmly told to butt out. If she doesn't take the hint, she needs to leave. My first little house after leaving home... my mother used to come round and tell me how things such as my furniture, ornaments, curtains etc., were not approved of and how I needed to rearrange things in a much better way.. ;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
How proudly I spent 2 days cleaning the flat from top to bottom before my then wife and I brought our new born daughter home from the hospital.

Later that day, the Mother in law, sister, young niece and nephew arrive unannounced having travelled 250 miles to surprise us!

They were expecting to stay, we had a tiny 2 bed flat, and the MIL started hoovering before I could register my shock!

Plax

Guru
Thankfully not. I deliberately moved to a rural area, don't put the heating on or have any food in the house to discourage such visits ;).

Night Train

Maker of Things
I will have house guests for a week or so next month. They will then be moving in in Feb for about 3 years or more as my tenants. I guess rental income makes things easier.

Brains

Legendary Member
House guests are like fish

Fine for a couple of days but after that you need to get rid of them as they start to smell

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Keith Oates said:
When I go back to the UK I try not to stay with relatives but go to a hotel. It's as much for them as it is for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have almost the opposite ... I'm going back to NI for a couple of days in August ... and they get offended if I don't stay with them.... and I can't stand the complete lack of routine and mess (and believe me I'm messy ...) in one of my aunt's houses... so it will only be 1 night maximum there. I would be happier if they would let me get my own accommodation. But I do love seeing them.

Top Bottom