How Addictive is the Commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Got myself all set up to start commuting for the first time tomorrow. It’s 9 miles each way via the direct route with a decent hill to climb on both sides. Or the cycle path and beach front path route which is about 14 miles each way. Plus there’s various cheeky options to tag on loads of extra miles.

I plan to do this 2 or 3 times a week and will take my clothes on the other days to save carrying anything except food.

I am interested in just how addictive people have found this?

Last edited:

Lozz360

Veteran
Sounds like you have a number of attractive options for your commute. Certainly enjoy it. I find it a very efficient way of time and exercise balance, if your route is an enjoyable one then that’s a bonus.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
The last straw to get me into gear was spending 1 hour 16 mins to get to work on Tuesday. Journey time on Wednesday was 25 mins, just to compare.

I know I can easily ride it in 40 mins tops. I am also not finding the time to ride as much as I would like. No brainer really. :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Once you start, you'll find you'll reach a minimum time (reasons vary, traffic/route/time of day) at which you'll start to think about going slower and how you'll be able to extend the homeward ride.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I’ve started to commute once or twice a week. My shift starts between 13:30 & 15:00. Finish times are in the hands of the gods (and Transport Planners!) usually between midnight and 02:00.

Minimum mileage is 11 if I cut through a farm track, but 12 if on tarmac all the time.
I have to plan ahead though, as I need to leave uniform, bag and work boots in my locker so when I ride in, all my kit is there, rather than carry it in.
Nearly all the miles are on country lanes with plenty of options to vary my routes there and back.
Longest commute in, so far, was 33 miles, as some mates joined me then carried on with their days ride.
Yep, it is addictive, even though it is a bit of a PITA planning it sometimes!

JhnBssll

Veteran
I started off about a year ago doing one or two days a week on the bike and taking clothes on the other days. I quite quickly invested in a comfortable rucksack that was just big enough for clothes and bought another pair of shoes to leave at work all the time. These days I cycle every time the weather is half decent and am waiting on delivery of a pannier rack for the days when the rucksack isn't enough :laugh:

I suspect you'll find yourself checking the weather every evening in the near future :okay:

Heigue'r

Veteran
Back to 5 days a week,the time and money saved is a no brainer.
Short answer....very!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My commute is about 20km each way and often gets extended to 20, 30, 40 50 km on the way home.

My tips are.

Make sure you have kit on the bike to fix it if it breaks. You dont need much.
Remember it is a ride. Not a race. Its not all about going fast.
You dont HAVE to commute every day. The world will not end if you dont ride your bike. Your body also needs time to rest.
Vary your routes. My hardest decision is deciding which way to go.
Have a camera with you.
Have nibbles and a drink with you.
Wahoo and Ride with GPS opens up a whole new ball game and will take you on local roads and tracks that you didnt know existed.
Keep away from Strava. You will become an obsessive maniac ^_^
Riding through the winter will make riding the rest of the year a doddle.
Take an extra top. You will sometimes need to keep the chill off. Even in summer.

Above all enjoy it. If you need a rest. Take one. If you need a day off. Take one.

Attachments

• 20180518_045237.jpg
    20180518_045237.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I’ve missed about 5 day’s in the last 3 years. My commute is about 13 miles each way.

I feel really out of sorts if I don’t cycle to work and so will brave almost any weather.

My tip is...

On those really cold winter mornings when the rain is lashing against the bedroom window - just man-up and do it. As long as you’re dressed properly it’s never anywhere near as bad as you think it’s going to be.

Also, you can bask in the glow of having done it when you get to work.

Enjoy.

Graham

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Commuting is the worst type of crack. It just gets into your bones and brain. I can count on one hand the number of times I have taken a direct route to either work or home. Direct for 12 years was 11 miles each way. Most days it was upped to a 32 mile round trip and anything above that when the weather was nice.
I have now changed to a bike/train/bike commute of which the cycle part is 12 miles each way. However I have cycled the full distance to work which is 36 miles.
The cycle commute is one of the best parts of the day.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I used to enjoy the mental workout of the morning commute, honing my roadcraft through the traffic. Now I've moved about a mile from work my 'commute' is a leisurely ride out to the countryside and back. Which is nice.

Top Bottom