How Addictive is the Commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Still at it. Still loving it!

In fact, my Garmin flashed up today that my FTP over 20 mins has now gone from 195 Watts, before starting to commute, to 233 Watts today.

I have been doing the exact same routes in and home from work. Similar weather and similar wind conditions on average. Same food and drink each day and same bike.

I was doing 1 or 2 rides a week of 30-60 miles before. The past few weeks I have been doing 3 or 4 days of 8 miles each way and one additional ride of about 25 miles.

Therefore, the mileage itself is roughly the same, but I am doing less miles but more often. I actually feel stronger and fitter too. :smile:
Faster?
And feeling like $6,000,000!

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Faster?
And feeling like $6,000,000!
Yes indeed. Far more concentration at work too. Just need to switch my body clock from being a late night person to an early riser now. Struggling so far.

Slick

Guru
I just can’t get to sleep early enough. Doesn’t matter what I do or time I try.
I suppose it will depend on your age but I'm the exact opposite. There was a time when I didn't like getting out of bed but it's in the long and distant past now. I struggle to stay awake much past the 10 o'clock news but bounce out of bed at 5 am ready to go.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I suppose it will depend on your age but I'm the exact opposite. There was a time when I didn't like getting out of bed but it's in the long and distant past now. I struggle to stay awake much past the 10 o'clock news but bounce out of bed at 5 am ready to go.
I am jealous of that tbh. My Wife is the same. Would be a lot easier if I was too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've tried to giver it up because of fear of being hit, or fear of cancer due to diesel particulates, but I can't. Gave it up for about a month but felt crap.

If i ever thought of those things and let them bother me then I wouldn't go out day to day let alone on a bike.

Cavalol

Guru
I don’t commute on the cycle that much (generally about 5 times per month) but I enjoy it more because of that.
Have tried various routes and for the last 3 or 4 years have found one doing 9.3 miles going and another just under 14 coming home are perfect.
I try and keep away from riding on main roads and never do the same route (just under 6 miles) I do in the car as cycling should be a change from the norm imho.

It’s probably considered a bit sad looking for some but I enjoy it.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
Another addict here! :smile: . Weird that I very rarely use the bike other than commuting.......

Hedgemonkey

Now Then
Yep addicted too. Mind you after so many close passes recently I've been exploring the all weather singletrack options, legs sting for days due to nettles, but it's so much more fun and less stressful, reckon I can ride about 3 mile of ST all year from my 14 mile commute.

Top Bottom