How Addictive is the Commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Good on you for getting started. You'll find that the time taken to commute doesn't vary much, unlike public transport or driving. The only thing that makes a difference for me is the wind, a 20+mph headwind adds 5-10 mins to a 35min commute.

I leave early enough and shower at work, keep clothes etc there, and use a backpack for a waterproof jacket and lunch.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Good on you for getting started. You'll find that the time taken to commute doesn't vary much, unlike public transport or driving. The only thing that makes a difference for me is the wind, a 20+mph headwind adds 5-10 mins to a 35min commute.

I leave early enough and shower at work, keep clothes etc there, and use a backpack for a waterproof jacket and lunch.
Thats the other point. If your work is set up for commutes. Bike shed, showers etc. Its easy. If its not. It can be a bit of a nightmare.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
There are showers here, but there’s 4 of them fitted around and over 500 staff. Need to join the gym here to use 3 of them and they are usually busy in the mornings.

I found that I hadn’t really broken into a sweat in arrival today. I had a bottle of Muc Off Dry Shower in a welcome pack from British Cycling, so tested that out this morning. Works fantastically well tbh.

Clothes were left here yesterday and were crease free rolled up in my small locker. It’s easier when you can wear whatever you like so t-shirt and jeans it is for Commute days.

Will add some miles on trip home. :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There are showers here, but there’s 4 of them fitted around and over 500 staff. Need to join the gym here to use 3 of them and they are usually busy in the mornings.

I found that I hadn’t really broken into a sweat in arrival today. I had a bottle of Muc Off Dry Shower in a welcome pack from British Cycling, so tested that out this morning. Works fantastically well tbh.

Clothes were left here yesterday and were crease free rolled up in my small locker. It’s easier when you can wear whatever you like so t-shirt and jeans it is for Commute days.

Will add some miles on trip home. :smile:

There's really no need for a shower if you're not an overly sweaty type.
Babywipes are your friend.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
2 1/2 years ago my commute was just over 7 miles each way. It still is, if I go the direct route. Which pretty much never happens. Invariably extended to 10 miles in, 9 back. Ice aside I ride year round, only on rare occasions does the van get used.

Julia9054

Guru
I wouldn't call it addictive. I have to go to work. It is preferable to driving - which i loathe - and public transport is not feasible for my journey.
Positives include maintaining a base level of fitness whilst doing something i would have to do anyway and getting to work feeling lively and awake. Negatives include having to be more organised re clothing etc, time spent making myself look presentable and crap weather (i really feel the cold)
Positives definitely outweigh negatives.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Here’s today’s direct route each way. 545 feet of climbing over 8.2 miles. 29mins 55secs in and 30mins 15secs back. Return leg at rush hour but I held my own where needed. :smile:

0A857E2E-BFDC-44D9-8E3C-ED9632221DB2.png
00D6FD3D-7C66-4F54-85B5-B5487704E36E.png

13 rider

Guru
I started 2 years ago odd day last year 3 days a week this year onky missed 1 day due to ice . Now the weather nice commuting by bike is glorious pay back for the bad weather . Tip check you've got everything before you leave home or youif you could arrive at work without your van keys :whistle:. Once you get your routine sorted carrying stuff etc you just get into the habit and it becomes the normal thing to do . Enjoy the commute I find if I've had a bad day at work by the time I get home I'm unstressed

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
The attractions of commuting by bike:
You don't worry about not getting a seat in the train.
You're not squashed up .

The distractions of commuting by bike:
People say they are all awake and ready to get straight to work. Idk about you, but I seem to be able to work well regardless of how I get to work.
I can listen to audio books.

Top Bottom