How Addictive is the Commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I wish you guys would stop going on!

I’m off bike commuting for several weak reasons, might be able to sneak on in on Friday.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Tried with a bag a couple of years back. Really didn’t like it tbh. Carrying enough food is tricky in jersey pockets though.

I need to get a weeks worth of food into work on a Monday, along with the clothes and I can then do 4 days of commuting hopefully. :smile:

My trip home in the car tonight, with very little traffic along the same route, took me 21 mins. It was 29 mins in busy traffic on the bike yesterday.

Pretty happy with that as it’s 550 feet of climbing over 7.9 miles.

Thomson

Commuted for six months to work and back. I know it's only a three mile cycle but I think there's only been twice I have took the car, and not because off the weather. After a good few years paying about 50 pound a week on fuel, 420 miles a week. It's the dream that it's costs me nothing now. I need the time off my commute also as it's the bit between work and home. And sometimes it's harder work at home than at work. :-)

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
You have started at the right time of year weather near perfect enjoy it while it lasts
I am under no illusion that it’s not always this way!

Been using my new bike so far, which has done about 260 dry miles so far. Not sure how I feel about full on wet miles yet. Lol

Will investigate options. Already been warned off the current C2W window. :smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I am under no illusion that it’s not always this way!

Been using my new bike so far, which has done about 260 dry miles so far. Not sure how I feel about full on wet miles yet. Lol

Will investigate options. Already been warned off the current C2W window. :smile:
Wet weather commuting's great. The traffic jams are always worse so you feel even more smug as you cruise by. Driving in winter is horrible, with bright lights and road glare, cycling's much easier, you just have to remember as a cyclist that this is affecting everyone and take it into account with your roadcraft.

Get some decent waterproofs and keep a spare set of riding kit at work so you don't need to ride home in the wet clothes you wore on the way there, and you're sorted.

If you think you need a wet weather winter commute bike then I reckon a cheap second hand crosser with clearance for mudguards and snow tyres would be ideal.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Properly addicted. As in snappy and irritable when I don’t. Cheaper than other drugs and better for me.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Been commuting everyday so far, aside from once a week to swap clothes. Loving it, is an understatement. :smile:

Was proper lashing down on way home today. Enjoyed as much as in the sunshine.

Picked up a SS Gabba Jersey in January, when at a silly price where the only one was that in my size. They are absolutely amazing. Well worth the money. Bone dry and not sweaty either.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Still at it. Still loving it!

In fact, my Garmin flashed up today that my FTP over 20 mins has now gone from 195 Watts, before starting to commute, to 233 Watts today.

I have been doing the exact same routes in and home from work. Similar weather and similar wind conditions on average. Same food and drink each day and same bike.

I was doing 1 or 2 rides a week of 30-60 miles before. The past few weeks I have been doing 3 or 4 days of 8 miles each way and one additional ride of about 25 miles.

Therefore, the mileage itself is roughly the same, but I am doing less miles but more often. I actually feel stronger and fitter too. :smile:

Top Bottom