How Addictive is the Commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I feel it's very addictive, especially if you start out with beautiful weather like it is at the moment. I'm maybe spoiled a bit as my employer is set up to cater for cyclists, and I know there is a few who settle for the baby wipe option (xx() a shower is what makes it for me, just sets me up especially after a particularly cold commute but I suppose we all just have to make the most of our individual circumstances. I know it's already been mentioned, but I always think back to when I first started and I naturally assumed that it would be a summer hobby, until the first afternoon the black doom clouds formed and the rain came down in torrents. I wasn't looking forward to it but I just put my head down and went for it as much as I was able and about halfway home I suddenly realised that I was loving it and that was probably the same moment I realised I was addicted to this as a whole rather than just the commute.

Heigue'r

Veteran
[QUOTE="bpsmith, post: 5251796, member: 32090"

Every single trip has been a head wind though. It’s only been about 5mph mind you, but a head wind that’s changed during the day to always be a head wind travelling both ways. PMSL.[/QUOTE]

Yep,can count on one hand the tailwinds Ive had in the last 6000 odd commuting miles..get used to it..but when you do get a tailwind...its awesome

Slick

Guru
2 normal working days and an overtime day = 3 commutes so far. Loving it.

Every single trip has been a head wind though. It’s only been about 5mph mind you, but a head wind that’s changed during the day to always be a head wind travelling both ways. PMSL.
Wait until you start taking it easy on one segment so you can blast it on another if you ever do get a tail wind.:okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I only tend to wimp out on night shift , 2nd night is the worst for temptation as you feel like shite and the car is available.Dont generally do friday nights as we start early so it would be a 3 am ride which i have done and dont particularly mind but then i have to get up early on the saturday akak kids .

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I took the car today, as had run out of clothes at work. Also doing overtime until 8pm and won’t see my Son much after cycling home.

Was terrible not cycling in today though and been glorious all day too.

vickster

Legendary Member
I took the car today, as had run out of clothes at work. Also doing overtime until 8pm and won’t see my Son much after cycling home.

Get a pannier rack and then you can take clothes everyday :smile:

Julia9054

Guru
You have to be a bit organised with the clothes thing. I have a pannier and pack the night before. I keep a towel, deodorant, baby wipes and a hairdryer at work. Probably slightly easier if you are a bloke in a suit and can leave the suit, shoes and tie at work.

winjim

Smash the cistern

It's been beautiful weather but I'm stuck at home with sinusitis. I'm desperate to get back to work so I can ride in.

Top Bottom