How can I ever let my son loose on the roads alone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Coming home from sons football match today, he rode straight out of a junction without looking. There were cars coming, but thankfully due to the angle of the junction they just passed him and no harm was done. He said he hadn't seen the road markings, didn't realise he had to stop. I asked him had he not heard the cars - he said there weren't any!

I'm now having palpitations. He's done L2 bikeability, but having done it myself last year I don't think it goes anywhere near preparing them for riding on the roads.

I feel that (at the minute) the only option is riding illegally, but safely or legally but unsafely. Don't really know what the answer is.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Sounds like SMIDY driver in the making :rolleyes:.
Why not have him do LvL3 then do a few test rides with him. Point out his errors and then mention how to do it next time.
It seems like his riding is not the issue but rather his observation. While there are no hazard perception video tests for cyclists I think having him try the Motorbike one will be near enough the same. Least that way he can see how he scores and it does not seem like just a nagy mum on his case.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Sounds like SMIDY driver in the making :rolleyes:.
Why not have him do LvL3 then do a few test rides with him. Point out his errors and then mention how to do it next time.
It seems like his riding is not the issue but rather his observation. While there are no hazard perception video tests for cyclists I think having him try the Motorbike one will be near enough the same. Least that way he can see how he scores and it does not seem like just a nagy mum on his case.
TBH he's very good when I tell him what to do on the bike, dare I say he actually respects his Mum's experience!

He hasn't ridden much over winter and he was on his new road bike, so I guess he was having a little day dream about being up front with Brad and Chris. He's done this before at a junction though, and it did get me thinking how despite having to abide by the rules of the road, he's not had any real preperation for riding on them. HTF should he know to stop at a junction? Bikeabilty doesn't teach you that!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
He's 11. It was a quiet road and we were pulling out into a bigger road. He just didn't see the markings (which are poor to be fair).

As I said, he's done it before. He just doesn't seem to recognise how junctions work, and when you think about it, they are fairly complicated and sometimes difficult to see when all the roads are snided by parked cars.

I really want to get him riding confidently on the roads, but I find it so stressful having to call out instructions to him all the time. All complicated by the fact that I find it quite difficult to keep up with him.

Bit depressed by it all at the minute.

GuardTwin

I finished year 6 when I did my cycling course which was free (still should be i think) get in contact with your council and ask about cycling on the road courses for children, maybe you can get the school to agree with using their grounds to practice and do mini exams of road markings and how roads work etc. They put you on quite roads and always have instructors out looking for cars flagging them to slow down and letting the kids know they are coming so we get the feel of cars being there without too much pressure.

That is a taster on how mine was, as I am now almost 24 I do not know if it has changed much but it is a good idea for children because it helped me over time to be more aware of my surroundings and having that skill and ability has saved my life during my high school cycling life and even now. (I feel it has made me a slightly better driver when looking for cars, bikes and cyclists I know what cyclists need when passing and where they might be.)

Julia9054

Guru
I sit my son (well, the one who cycles!) in the front of the car when I drive anywhere and talk through junctions and roundabouts etc as we drive. His road sense worries me too!

buggi

Bird Saviour
to be fair... That is a difficult junction for a child who's only done L2

Do you find him hard to control on the road? You say you can't keep up but you should not have to. don't allow him to ride off. If he continues to do so, take his bike off him until he learns to control his speed. This sounds harsh but you can't be expected to keep him safe if he's not in ear shot. You have learned today his life depends on it, so don't be afraid to be firm on this. If he can't obey this instruction, do not continue to take him out until he can demonstrate he is willing to slow to your speed.

when you have his speed under control, choose simple junctions first and ask him to tell you what he's doing and thinking on approach rather than you shouting instructions (also this means he will have to have you in ear shot of him so he will stay near). This will help you ascertain if he understands the junction. The more he demonstrates understanding, the more you will trust him to move on to bigger junctions. Until he demonstrates understanding on simple junctions, don't take him to more complicated ones.

A few years will make a tremendous difference, even a year, being able to make sense of roads seems to kick in around 11.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
to be fair... That is a difficult junction for a child who's only done L2

Do you find him hard to control on the road? You say you can't keep up but you should not have to. don't allow him to ride off. If he continues to do so, take his bike off him until he learns to control his speed. This sounds harsh but you can't be expected to keep him safe if he's not in ear shot. You have learned today his life depends on it, so don't be afraid to be firm on this. If he can't obey this instruction, do not continue to take him out until he can demonstrate he is willing to slow to your speed.

when you have his speed under control, choose simple junctions first and ask him to tell you what he's doing and thinking on approach rather than you shouting instructions (also this means he will have to have you in ear shot of him so he will stay near). This will help you ascertain if he understands the junction. The more he demonstrates understanding, the more you will trust him to move on to bigger junctions. Until he demonstrates understanding on simple junctions, don't take him to more complicated ones.
He's quite good, he will slow down so that I can keep up with him, but I do have to keep reminding him.

I so wish it didn't have to be this difficult. I wish I'd gone to live in The Netherlands when I was pregnant!

buggi

Bird Saviour
i think the main problem is that (a) you are expecting him to know more than he does just because he's done level 2 and (b) you are telling him what to do, rather than letting him think for himself. you do need to get him, on approach to junctions, to tell you what he's doing and why he's doing it. This will make him think about what he's doing while demonstrating his understanding (or lack of). and like i said, if he is the one that has to talk to you, he will have to slow down anyway so you can hear. when riding with him, best if you flank him on the right slightly, rather than stay right behind. This will help him know he's not leaving you behind, whilst also protecting him, and will make it easier for him to talk to you.

don't forget to tell him when he's done great and, if he messes up, stop him in a safe place and ask him how he thought he did and if he could have done anything better, rather than say "you did this wrong" as again, this gets him thinking about his actions and helps him work it out for himself. If he can't work it out for himself say, "Well, if i was in your position, I would have done.[insert what you would have done]".

that junction is difficult as it's not a straight forward in and out. i'm not really surprised he didn't understand it, so don't feel too down. Take him back there and get him to watch how the cars go in and out. When you come across new junctions, don't be afraid to shout stop if you need to. (Agree with him beforehand that if you shout STOP he must do so immediately).

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
i think the main problem is that (a) you are expecting him to know more than he does just because he's done level 2 and (b) you are telling him what to do, rather than letting him think for himself. you do need to get him, on approach to junctions, to tell you what he's doing and why he's doing it. This will make him think about what he's doing while demonstrating his understanding (or lack of). and like i said, if he is the one that has to talk to you, he will have to slow down anyway so you can hear. when riding with him, best if you flank him on the right slightly, rather than stay right behind. This will help him know he's not leaving you behind, whilst also protecting him, and will make it easier for him to talk to you.

don't forget to tell him when he's done great and, if he messes up, stop him in a safe place and ask him how he thought he did and if he could have done anything better, rather than say "you did this wrong" as again, this gets him thinking about his actions and helps him work it out for himself. If he can't work it out for himself say, "Well, if i was in your position, I would have done.[insert what you would have done]".

that junction is difficult as it's not a straight forward in and out. i'm not really surprised he didn't understand it, so don't feel too down. Take him back there and get him to watch how the cars go in and out. When you come across new junctions, don't be afraid to shout stop if you need to. (Agree with him beforehand that if you shout STOP he must do so immediately).
Yes some good tips there. I wasn't really expecting the bikeability to furnish him with these skills, just expressing a frustration really about it all. He's now at an age where he is legally not expected to ride on pavements, but I don't feels roads are safe for him. I should be able to let him go out and about by himself a bit, but its not possible really.

Top Bottom