How can I ever let my son loose on the roads alone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting. And a very good argument for a 20mph default urban limit.

As with all "evidence" - read with caution.

I was unsure whether this one was aimed to support the 20ph limit, or the 20 mph limit was a result of the research.

Having the same figure is my issue

Julia9054

Guru
A few years ago, my eldest was cycling to a friend's house and misjudged a junction. A car very nearly ran him over. The driver was so shocked, he got out and yelled at him. To make matters worse, it turned out to be a teacher from his school. He was so shaken up he, unfortunately, has not been back on a bike since.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Today's news: Gti Junior rides too fast, too close and piles into the back of a car that stops sharply. No harm done. Blames it on the brakes! They are poor but I saw the back wheel lift well before the contact.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Today's news: Gti Junior rides too fast, too close and piles into the back of a car that stops sharply. No harm done. Blames it on the brakes! They are poor but I saw the back wheel lift well before the contact.
My son crashed into the back of me today ad came off. To be fair, it was the first time we'd gone out with me towing his speedway bike on the trailer (I was a long vehicle!). I don't think he'll be getting that close again in the near future!
10330258_10152332846081117_8904025533308680046_n_zps1dd6f7c7.jpg

william_just

Emphasise the Give Way lines (a visual cue) and that he MUST slow down as he approaches them to make sure that there is no traffic on the major road, which gets to go first. Explain that traffic on major roads has priority over traffic on minor roads. A junction is where two or more roads meet, and the minor road is always the one that is coming to an end, while the major road continues, so get him recognise this. (A T-junction is an obvious example.) While "buggi" has given you some good advice I do not recommend the following: "...get him [your son], on approach to junctions, to tell you what he's doing and why he's doing it." On the contrary, your son should be focusing on what he is doing (i.e. his cycling). By all means, get him to explain it afterwards, but not while he is doing it. Why not practice with him at a quiet junction?

Top Bottom