how did you learn to track stand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobg

Über Member
I just wondered if there was a best method in learning this. I didnt realise how handy it was till I started using the fixed wheel. My googling suggested feet at 3 and 9 oclock, leading foot forward, wheel lurned to wards the leading foot and into a slight camber. Is that a good starting point. BTw Like many others all my other bikes remain unused now - cant get enough of it - even overtook a couple of cyclists the other day... that nver happens:becool:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's basically how you do it - I can just about hold it long enough on a road bike for the lights to change - easier on a fixed as you can roll back to help balance.

Andy Pandy

I only ever managed to master the very slow crawl forward track stand. Its hard to learn when you have clipless pedals (that's my excuse anyway)

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
I felt really daft this morning, old bloke like me, wobbling about in the local park (after the kids had gone into to school) I should have more sense.... but I dont give a toss anymore :blush: I gonna try going backwards next :biggrin:
Mrs BG said I ought not be allowed out without my carer. Maybe she's right

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
User1314 said:
Always good to learn new skills - keep the grey cells ticking over.

Next - Breakdancing!

Nah, thats one step too far - brittle bones an all that... I'm dreading agreeing to go to Salsa lessons though... maybe she'll forget

Just sussed this over the last few weeks

Can now track stand at the lights and usually(about 75%) of the time manage to balance it until the lights change:becool:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I learn it by having a free afternoon and an empty patio. I saw somone do it on a freewheel bike and after trying a few times when i first got the fixed thought i would try again. Got it pretty much spot on, then kept practicing. Can now be sat at traffic lights, level crossings and most things trackstanding no problem. Do it facing uphill, downill, sideways onto a hill(unless really steep) no problem.
Improved it more by taking my bike into school and using the flat smooth floor to practice. Went from standing up to sitting down, then one handed, then no handed, then abit of a backward circle. Not practiced the backways circles more yet, but i can also have one foot through the frame and still be track standing:becool:
Way too much time practicing.

OP
OP
bobg

bobg

Über Member
Joe24 said:
I learn it by having a free afternoon and an empty patio. I saw somone do it on a freewheel bike and after trying a few times when i first got the fixed thought i would try again. Got it pretty much spot on, then kept practicing. Can now be sat at traffic lights, level crossings and most things trackstanding no problem. Do it facing uphill, downill, sideways onto a hill(unless really steep) no problem.
Improved it more by taking my bike into school and using the flat smooth floor to practice. Went from standing up to sitting down, then one handed, then no handed, then abit of a backward circle. Not practiced the backways circles more yet, but i can also have one foot through the frame and still be track standing:becool:
Way too much time practicing.

I'm deeply impressed Joe, that's me tomorrow, all other jobs ar going on hold :smile:

gratts

Saw some guy at uni doing it t'other day. He looked a bit of a muppet doing it if I'm honest, some strange technique :smile:
I guess it's only of great use if you're using clipless?

col

Legendary Member
I can manage a couple of seconds before i have to creep forward a little to keep it,but dont go out of my way to do it,having normal pedals makes it easy to stop and start anyway.

Top Bottom