How do bonus points translate to GC timing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
Just started to follow the pro cycling event (Paris to Nice) recently and realised that bonus points (translated to x sec) are awarded for climb or sprint section and at the end of the race can be used to offset the GC timing. Is my understanding correct? How many secs is given? Does it apply to the 3 coming big tours?

your understanding of how it works is correct, The tour de france is re-introducing the bonus seconds this year for the first time since 2008, an explanation of sorts can be found here

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...-bonuses-reshuffles-points-competition_350373

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
your understanding of how it works is correct, The tour de france is re-introducing the bonus seconds this year for the first time since 2008, an explanation of sorts can be found here

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...-bonuses-reshuffles-points-competition_350373
That article is over a year old so presumably applied to last year's Tour? 1st, 2nd and 3rd over the finish line get bonuses of 10s, 6s and 4s knocked off their time. Last year's Vuelta did the same plus had 3, 2 and 1 second bonuses for the intermediate sprints. Dunno about the Giro.

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member

oldroadman

Veteran
Points for points competitions only (can be finishes, intermediate sprints, KoM and all be separate or combined competitions, specific race regs apply, usually it's intermediate sprints and finishes for points jersey, KoM points for, er, KoM). None of this affects time bonus, these are separate competitions within the race. Again these are usually at intermediate sprints and finishes, even at KoM depending on the race regs for the particular race.
All time bonuses are taken off GC total time, never stage time.
And all of this only happens in stage races where time is concerned. On a single day race it's been known to have a climbers competition but that's about it, for example in quite a few Belgian races there's a "bergpriejs" for the rider getting most points on classified bergs, just to make a hard race with nasty (often pave) climbs even harder! One thing, no-one ever won that in Paris-Roubaix......^_^

"Bonification" There, I've said it.

Bonification. I like that word.

sean kellys favourite word :okay:

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
sean kellys favourite word :okay:

Abit of diversion.

Nothing against Sean Kelly. English not my native. I can understd abt 50% what he spoke. Can u guys understd fully?

But dislike his opening speech. Most oftenly always start with: Well..........

oldroadman

Veteran
No problem with SK's English, much better than people all starting their sentences with "So,". I can understand the accent can be a bit of a problem if your first language isn't English. It works the other way, too, in some areas of France and Nederland the accents get a bit challenging too.
I deliberately avoided the "bonification" word when trying to explain time bonuses, as that's the English word, bonus (or reduction if you like).:smile:

Top Bottom