how do i clean a stainless steel frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

When you put too much in. When you put too much in for the temperature. When you put too much in for the temperature without swirling around for a long enough period.

And obviously, you think that's how they make washing up liquid? They probably have an understanding of solubility and equilibrium in Fairly Liquid's chem lab.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
No.

Washing up liquid is 'a liquid' albeit a slightly thick one (what the salt actually does) and by diluting it becomes 'thin' - not a cat in hells chance it will recrystalise and scratch car paint - not rinsing grit off a car before washing will with even distilled water make a nice grinding paste...
Washing up liquid 'is bad for cars' is only a story put round by car shampoo sellers to justify their massive mark up with a slight nod towards the fact that salt and metal don't mix.

young Ed

Veteran
When you put too much in. When you put too much in for the temperature. When you put too much in for the temperature without swirling around for a long enough period.
i believe this is called saturated, basically there is no more room between the molecules of water to hold any more salt so the excess just sits there on the bottom in a heap. i am fairly sure fairy (the company not the little pixies) aren't going to saturate their washing up liquid else we would all find a nice little pile of salt in the bottom of are washing up liquid tubs.
only saturated water or WUL (Washing Up Liquid) may produce little swirl marks on paintwork where the sponge has picked up excess salt floating about in the water with has thus created swirl marks on the paintwork, as said i highly doubt fairy WUL will be saturated
Cheers Ed

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Or Descartes demon found the wire wool an substituted it for a sponge?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Which is all fine...until you leave swirl marks all over your car or your paint fades. Do as you will though. Mine is but the language of truth and experience. Ommmmmmmmm.
That's due to a crap sponge or brush, not washing up liquid. I've never used anything other than washing up liquid on cars, bikes or motorcycles and never had a problem with swirls - apart from when I had an old banger and used a broom instead of a sponge.

adamhearn

Veteran
All this talk about swirls, salt, washing up liquid and WD40 :smile:

I've got a stainless steel cleaning spray. It cleans and leaves a film making the finish a tad glossy, Picked it up from Screwfix IIRC. For a bicycle I think I'd stick with a wash mit and warm water making sure I micro fibred it dry.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It is utterly inconceivable that the salt in washing up liquid, especially when diluted a zillion fold in hot water, would precipitate out as crystals of NaCl. NaCl solubility is about 230g/L. Ever been in the sea?

I use washing up liquid to clean just about anything.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's all very well having a fancy equilibrium stainless steel frame but I'm frightened to clean it!! I look on the net and the information is overwhelming....I appreciate that not many will have a stainless steel frame ( I presume titanium will have similar props)....It seems I just need to use a little diluted fairy washing up liquid....will that do? any other tips?
PUXW240000_1_2.JPG

Top Bottom