how do i clean a stainless steel frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Salt usually dissolves when mixed with a liquid. I think you are confusing it with sand.

Try washing your car with fairy liquid...a good buffing costs around £300...:whistle:

Citius

That would have been the sand that you were confusing the salt with earlier, I expect. Seriously, washing up liquid does not scratch paint like that.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Umm, car sponge, clean water, fairy liquid. Got the car wet pre washing. Thought "why pay more for a car shampoo when I have this?" Scratched all over. Not saying it will in all cases, but it can, yes. Earns you moody looks. Not the greatest of feelings.

Citius

Nope - I just know that salt dissolves when mixed with a liquid.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Well I hate to tell you this, but the word you're missing is can. Salt can dissolve in water. It doesn't always. And if you wash your car with salty water, you're going to risk getting swirls. Similarly, washing with a chemically rich washing up liquid, which also contains high levels of salt, will risk causing swirls. It's all about temperature and how much you put in, combined with how long you swirl it around for. So if it does happen to you then remember who told you and remember not to tell me...for I will laugh...hard.

robgul

Legendary Member
Baby oil for stainless steel - yes really - wipe with a damp cloth to remove real grime and then finish with baby oil on a soft cloth ... gets rid of fingermarks etc. How do I know this? - we have a stainless steel range cooker and that was the recommendation from the manufacturer's installation man for cleaning the control panel and outside of the oven doors..

Rob

Citius

Well I hate to tell you this, but the word you're missing is can. Salt can dissolve in water. It doesn't always.

Indulge me - under what circumstances will salt not dissolve? The water being frozen does not count, by the way. Please make it a good answer.

Top Bottom