how do i clean a stainless steel frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I never claimed caustics or surfactants have any effect on stainless steel. Only sodium (salt).
I know .... just saying ....

It's a pretty basic engineering principle that autentistic stainless cracks in the presence of sodium. Salt being Sodium Chloride.

Not all stainless steels are autentistic, but many are and you have to know what environment you're going to use your stainless steel product in before making the final decision on what alloy to use.

Cutlery isn't under any particular stress, so no worries, but pipes, bolts, eye bolts (in rocks on salty cliffs) etc are under huge danger of this problem.

Your submariner is fine too. It's CNC'd from one piece of metal so no residual stress there. But just to be safe, mine's CNNC'd from solid gold. Can't take chances, you know.
Interesting stuff (I'll read it in full another time) but does it really apply to bicycles washed once in a while in Fairy Liquid or ridden after the gritters have been?

Fab Foodie

Well I'm sure that rubbing cars and bikes with your bollocks is fine, but fairy liquid really didn't do her car any good. Oldfatfool has actually got it exactly right though...I just put too much in the bucket is all and took layers of wax off. Bit too heavy handed as well, probably. Problem solved though...she won't let me near it anymore...the car, I mean...and no...washing up liquid will not ruin anyone's cutlery...not too good for your hands though :whistle:
Blimey, I don't have any wax on my car either and its still fine .... sure there wasn't any grit involved either blown onto the surface whilst polishing away?

Interesting stuff (I'll read it in full another time) but does it really apply to bicycles washed once in a while in Fairy Liquid or ridden after the gritters have been?

I really don't know. I've never come across a stainless steel frame so never gave it any thought. A bicycle frame is stressed, but only whilst riding. I would imagine that all residual stresses from welding has been removed by heat treatment (one would hope so in anyway). Further, I've only just recently settled here where there is salt on the roads and thus never put the two together. For it to have any effect, you would require prolonged contact with salt whilst stressed. Since my assumption is that the stress is only present whilst riding (and then perhaps not even where the salt contacts), I don't even want to speculate or fuel scary stories.

Oh, and one more thing. I see no mention of sodium chloride in Fairy Liquid at all. The only ingredients listed is two kinds of surfactants. I'm not sure if one of them is sodium stearate, which may make sodium available for Stress Crack Corrosion.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Blimey, I don't have any wax on my car either and its still fine .... sure there wasn't any grit involved either blown onto the surface whilst polishing away?

Me either...seems a bit of an extravagance really, but no...previous owner had done a not so great job with their own cover up...there's me shining away, thinking I was going to earn my own bollock rubbing and, in the end, I'm having to cup them for fear of a Bobbit. Lesson learned...never wash a car.

Fab Foodie

This Wikipedia article describes the phenomena quite well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_corrosion_cracking

The stainless steel mentioned there, 18/8, commonly used in Cutlery (watch out messers Giles and Foodie) is particularly prone to Stress Crack Corrosion. However, you do need some sort of stress to initiate it, which you won't find on your watch case or cutlery.

I remember my university mess hall's fine example of SCC well. In those days the salt and pepper sellers were made from stainless steel. They were shaped like bell jars, with a black plastic base that could be removed for refilling. The pepper seller had 3 holes in and the salt seller 5 (or vice versa, I can't remember). The way these bell jar shapes were formed was obviously by pushing a disc of stainless steel over a bell jar shape in some sort of die. This meant that the shape was highly stressed. Only the salt sellers cracked, not the pepper pots. The cracks started at the base and propagated upwards towards the less stressed section. It was quite obvious how the pepper pots never cracked.

Valuable lessons are learnt from small observations and some enquiry.
OK, I'm with you (It's never too late to learn).
Funnily enough I have a pair of Cole and Mason Stainless Steel Salt and Pepper grinders .... and it's the Pepper one that's split!

One assumes that for heated SS cooking vessels in the food industry (where several % of NaCl is present) they use a Stainless that is less susceptible to Salt related cracking. I know we used a special grade of Stainless for Cryogenic use.

Fab Foodie

Oh, and one more thing. I see no mention of sodium chloride in Fairy Liquid at all. The only ingredients listed is two kinds of surfactants. I'm not sure if one of them is sodium stearate, which may make sodium available for Stress Crack Corrosion.
Sodium stearate is effectively common 'Soap'. Soap being the Sodium Salt of a Fatty Acid. There should be no Chloride around.

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

Me either...seems a bit of an extravagance really, but no...previous owner had done a not so great job with their own cover up...there's me shining away, thinking I was going to earn my own bollock rubbing and, in the end, I'm having to cup them for fear of a Bobbit. Lesson learned...never wash a car.
That's a good lesson!

Fab Foodie

I never claimed caustics or surfactants have any effect on stainless steel. Only sodium (salt).
Reading your Wikki link suggests it's the Chloride not the Sodium.

....yep, great stuff is stainless, made my mk2 trike from regular 304, and opted for a satin/brushed finish. Clue is in the name however - stainless rather than stainfree.
I use an ordinary green kitchen scourer to remove any blemishes, and a wipe over with oily rag (WD40) for added protection from the elements.
Watched the 'for the love of cars' series again recently, and one project was a DeLorean. They drafted in the best guy in the world who specializes in these cars, and had him remove a dent and put a sheen back on the rest of the car body. He was using a green scourer, and cloth soaked in WD40 - so if it's good enough for DeLorean it's good enough for me.....:smile:

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Local bike shop recommended muc off disc brake cleaner not only good for stainless steel frame but also for the rims

Top Bottom