how do i clean a stainless steel frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Baby oil for stainless steel - yes really - wipe with a damp cloth to remove real grime and then finish with baby oil on a soft cloth ... gets rid of fingermarks etc. How do I know this? - we have a stainless steel range cooker and that was the recommendation from the manufacturer's installation man for cleaning the control panel and outside of the oven doors..

Rob
This is correct.

S.Giles

Stainless-steel is easy to keep looking good. I have a thirty-year-old stainless-steel wristwatch which looks brand new. It has had scratches polished-out and the 'brushed' finish re-done (with very fine wet-and-dry sandpaper or use one of these if you're fussy). The knives and forks in my cutlery drawer all look fine, despite being washed in washing-up liquid every day! Arguably, stainless-steel looks better when it has acquired a 'patina' anyway.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The salt will be dissolved, besides, salt is much, much softer than stainless steel. However, salt is not good for most stainless steel. It causes it to crack.
I work in the food industry with quite salty foodstuffs all processed in Stainless steel equipment and washed often in strong caustic as well as a multitude of surfactants. Never heard such a thing .... what's the evidence?

rb58

Enigma
Baby oil for stainless steel - yes really - wipe with a damp cloth to remove real grime and then finish with baby oil on a soft cloth ... gets rid of fingermarks etc.
Rob
This works for my Ti bike - a wipe down with baby wipes or Lidl multi purpose cleaning wipes, then a wipe over with baby oil which does a great job of keeping the frame free of fingers marks. We also use it on the stainless kitchen surfaces. A deeper clean involves a pre-wash with a tiny dash of car shampoo, followed but the wipes and baby oil.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Baby oil for stainless steel - yes really - wipe with a damp cloth to remove real grime and then finish with baby oil on a soft cloth ... gets rid of fingermarks etc. How do I know this? - we have a stainless steel range cooker and that was the recommendation from the manufacturer's installation man for cleaning the control panel and outside of the oven doors..

Rob
great tip thanks Rob....i shall try just need to buy the baby oil.....I can see Mrs Runner saying...something you want to tell me dear^_^

Turbo rider for what it is worth, washing up liquid won't scratch your car, it will however remove all the polish,wax, and sealing compounds on your cars paintwork exposing the swirl marks that these products hide (including the sealed for life products sold on new cars) If your car as ever been washed by a garage (when new/ service time etc) I guarantee there will be swirl marks in the paint work.If you use a sponge even, there will be swirl marks in your paint.

I work in the food industry with quite salty foodstuffs all processed in Stainless steel equipment and washed often in strong caustic as well as a multitude of surfactants. Never heard such a thing .... what's the evidence?

It's a pretty basic engineering principle that autentistic stainless cracks in the presence of sodium chlorine. Salt being Sodium Chloride.

Not all stainless steels are autentistic, but many are and you have to know what environment you're going to use your stainless steel product in before making the final decision on what alloy to use.

Cutlery isn't under any particular stress, so no worries, but pipes, bolts, eye bolts (in rocks on salty cliffs) etc are under huge danger of this problem.

Your submariner is fine too. It's CNC'd from one piece of metal so no residual stress there. But just to be safe, mine's CNNC'd from solid gold. Can't take chances, you know.

Attachments

• rr902.pdf
    329.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I never claimed caustics or surfactants have any effect on stainless steel. Only sodium (salt).

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Load of old bollocks, Been doing it for years boith car and bikes ..... and if you rinse it off it's fine.

Well I'm sure that rubbing cars and bikes with your bollocks is fine, but fairy liquid really didn't do her car any good. Oldfatfool has actually got it exactly right though...I just put too much in the bucket is all and took layers of wax off. Bit too heavy handed as well, probably. Problem solved though...she won't let me near it anymore...the car, I mean...and no...washing up liquid will not ruin anyone's cutlery...not too good for your hands though :whistle:

This Wikipedia article describes the phenomena quite well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress_corrosion_cracking

The stainless steel mentioned there, 18/8, commonly used in Cutlery (watch out messers Giles and Foodie) is particularly prone to Stress Crack Corrosion. However, you do need some sort of stress to initiate it, which you won't find on your watch case or cutlery.

I remember my university mess hall's fine example of SCC well. In those days the salt and pepper sellers were made from stainless steel. They were shaped like bell jars, with a black plastic base that could be removed for refilling. The pepper seller had 3 holes in and the salt seller 5 (or vice versa, I can't remember). The way these bell jar shapes were formed was obviously by pushing a disc of stainless steel over a bell jar shape in some sort of die. This meant that the shape was highly stressed. Only the salt sellers cracked, not the pepper pots. The cracks started at the base and propagated upwards towards the less stressed section. It was quite obvious how the pepper pots never cracked. Thanks to the unique holes, the pepper pot never received salt and vice versa.

Valuable lessons are learnt from small observations and some enquiry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom