how do i clean a stainless steel frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

runner

Guru
It's all very well having a fancy equilibrium stainless steel frame but I'm frightened to clean it!! I look on the net and the information is overwhelming....I appreciate that not many will have a stainless steel frame ( I presume titanium will have similar props)....It seems I just need to use a little diluted fairy washing up liquid....will that do? any other tips?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Stainless steel? I don't think it would matter - isn't that the point of stainless steel? Tough as old boots.

young Ed

Veteran
surely it's the same as any other frame?
they're all tough enough to withstand sponging down and they're all waterproof
Cheers Ed

Titanium and stainless steel are very different. Stainless steel is actually quite difficult to clean. It likes to take on mud stains (especially rusty-coloured mud due to its iron content) and will then turn a slight brown/yellow colour that may or may not bother you. Any steel in contact with the frame will leave a permanent rust mark if it does get wet or salty. Titanium doesn't stain like that.

If there's no paint over the stainless and the finish is not a fine sanded finish, an abrasive metal polish does the trick. However, if the finish is satin instead of Chrome-like, you easily polish out the satin finish and turn it chromish. Then you have to resort to a softer metal polish and lots of elbow grease.

Stainless isn't really a nice frame material from a keep-clean point of view.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If using a mildly abrasive polish you also need to take into account the grain of the stainless, apparently.

The DeLorean car had a stainless steel body which was notoriously difficult to look after.

There's some stuff about it under the 'body' tab of the wiki link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeLorean_DMC-12

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
Titanium and stainless steel are very different. Stainless steel is actually quite difficult to clean. It likes to take on mud stains (especially rusty-coloured mud due to its iron content) and will then turn a slight brown/yellow colour that may or may not bother you. Any steel in contact with the frame will leave a permanent rust mark if it does get wet or salty. Titanium doesn't stain like that.

If there's no paint over the stainless and the finish is not a fine sanded finish, an abrasive metal polish does the trick. However, if the finish is satin instead of Chrome-like, you easily polish out the satin finish and turn it chromish. Then you have to resort to a softer metal polish and lots of elbow grease.

Stainless isn't really a nice frame material from a keep-clean point of view.
very informative YS...yes I can see if i look closely the mud stains you describe....but you need to look closely

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
I wash my titanium frame with car shampoo then spray some wd40 onto a cloth and go over the frame with it. Brings the frame up like new and removes any water marks etc from it
yes the wd 40 has done a nice job...use a little to give a sheen after the shampoo (we look after our bikes better than our wives ^_^

bpsmith

Veteran
I don't think Mrs Runner would appreciate a rub over with WD40, unless you are into some serious $hit...
WD40 has been used by people with poor knee joints to quite some success apparently.

I read an article a while back with 50 uses you didn't know about. Did my Leather sofa and it's the cleanest and softest it's ever felt.

Can't see why it wouldn't translate to the Mrs. :smile:

Top Bottom