How do I find the year of this reg plate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
London, early/mid 50's.
Sounds about right, my mum had a 1963 Riley the number plate format was 123 ABC, ABC 123 would have been earlier, we also had a 1972 Capri that would have been in the format ABC 123K, I shudder to think what the Capri would’ve been worth now in first class condition.

Levo-Lon

Guru
As a young squaddie I vaguely really 7 of us aqueezing into a Trumpet Slag. That included one in the boot.

I think i had nine in my Mazda 323 sp in about 1988 , interesting short journey.
If your old work mates had seen me :banghead::hyper::surrender:

screenman

Legendary Member
Blinkin eck........what mpg would that get:eek:
Strange......that site lists it as being silver but it was actually white (with a fair amount of rust)

I used to get 8 out of the one I owned around town. My Ghost with the straight six was slightly better at 10 mpg.

D

Deleted member 26715

The plate is from between 1934 & 1963 but a little hard to track down much further

classic33

Leg End Member
Sounds about right, my mum had a 1963 Riley the number plate format was 123 ABC, ABC 123 would have been earlier, we also had a 1972 Capri that would have been in the format ABC 123K, I shudder to think what the Capri would’ve been worth now in first class condition.
They ran out of three letters followed by three numbers in the 50's and just reversed the format. Three letters being introduced in the 50's.

Second & third letters being the area identifying letters.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My dad had an A Reg Austin A40. Registered in 1963. That was the first year of letter indentification at the end of the number plate.
It kept going until the late 1980’s. Well beyond the second incarnation of A Reg plates at the start of the plate

classic33

Leg End Member
My 1961 (or very near to that) Mini was DMP 134, so the same ish layout. IIRC the first series of A reg started in maybe 1962 or 63.
A registrations started on 1st January 1963, running until the end of the year. As did 64, 65 & 66. 1967 had "E" & "F" registered plates issued. "E" being issued upto 31st July, followed by "F" on the 1st August.

I wondered if there were any rules regarding fitting old style non reflective number plates to a post reflective plate car ? If so that would limit the car to a certain period.
Just from going by memory reflective number plates must have come in in the early 70's.

Top Bottom