How do I find the year of this reg plate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
About number plates.

Does anyone watch Wheeler Dealers. I watch it now and again, I make a mental record of the registrations and put them through an MOT history check.

Try it and check the failure rate.
An interesting point! I sometimes wonder how they manage to drive vehicles over here on foreign plates?

I also like the way they do their accounting .

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Mrs B's family had two or three in series LOV xx. They were issued by Birmingham Corporation in late 1951 (national DVLC came in c1973).

Her Grandfather was in the motor trade and knew somebody in the Corporation's vehicle registration office.......

D

Deleted member 26715

Does anyone watch Wheeler Dealers
Must admit I did this the other week when we caught an old one on Quest or something like that it was from 2010 I think, the car passed for them, then again in 2011 but was a massive failure in 2012 & has not been on the road since, wasn't a cheap car either, wish I could remember which it was.

Drago

Legendary Member
IIRC the only non reflective plates can only go on cars registered prior to 1st Jan 73.

An update on this, and interesting it is too. I'm buying a Velosolex from a chap I know, and I'm looking at registering it. The MOT exemption was originally for pre 1960 vehicles, but in 2015 became a rolling 40 year exemption to bring it into line with the free car tax exemption, provided the vehicle is registered as a "historic vehicle". The Velosolex is a 1968 machine, so all is cool there.

However, the really interesting bit is that from May 2015 the number plate regs were harmonised with the 40 year rolling exemption, so as along as the vehicle is registered as a "historic vehicle" it can wear the black and silver plates. The exemption ticks round each year on 1st April, so currently applies to vehicles first registered prior to 01/04/1978 - vehicles from before that date can now wear the black and silver plates.

Interesting, eh?

As the Velo has never been registered I have to faff about with Nova etc, but at least I don't need to fanny about with an MOT, although I will ensure it is 100% safe before unleashing it's 0.95 horsepower.

Salar

A fish out of water
I considered a Velosolex a few years ago, when they were still selling them new in the UK at a price comparable to today's electric bikes.

Never got one though, wish I had.

I did wonder though if it would pull my 18 stone bulk up a hill.

Top Bottom