How do I find the year of this reg plate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
IIRC the only non reflective plates can only go on cars registered prior to 1st Jan 73.
I was just wondering. I can remember making some plates in the past and to make the old black and white plates would require ordering them in as they are not a run of the mill item.
It is interesting thinking back how number plates evolved from simple black plates with self adhesive digits to pressed aluminium plates, and later cheap aluminium plates with plastic digits held on with clips.

Cavalol

Guru
Looks like a silver shadow 1 maybe a series 2.

I worked on them as a apprentice panel beater.
Amazing smell of leather inside,fabulous interior.
Hell of an engine too, rust buckets sably

71/72 will be (Series) 1. The best looking of them all imho, as long as not in white.

D

Deleted member 26715

It is interesting thinking back how number plates evolved from simple black plates with self adhesive digits to pressed aluminium plates, and later cheap aluminium plates with plastic digits held on with clips.
Now all done on a PC with attached printer

D

Deleted member 26715

Or the older style which where plastic letters which you had to punch holes through the plate, then throw the plate away when you had punched the wrong place

classic33

Leg End Member
Interesting from this site XL was never issued http://www.authorandbookinfo.com/kingkong/where/gb.htm
XL was London C. C. 1963.

D

Deleted member 26715

What fun! I've just fitted that leter upsidedown! :wacko:
Mind you it was good for trailer plates, we just used to take off the numbers/letters & move them around, didn't matter how many extra hoes there was

Levo-Lon

Guru
Few here to check.
Alvis collection at Holkham Hall.

IMG_20181014_130654.jpg
IMG_20181014_130647.jpg

IMG_20181014_130652.jpg

Salar

A fish out of water
About number plates.

Does anyone watch Wheeler Dealers. I watch it now and again, I make a mental record of the registrations and put them through an MOT history check.

Try it and check the failure rate.

Top Bottom