How do I get better at cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Ride your bike more :okay: that’s it
You’re riding more than 90% of the population in one go already. Or stop, have a coffee, enjoy the scenery and then ride some more.
Riding in built up areas and traffic is more tiring too due to stop start so get out into the countryside if you can or go out very early or late
I ride in the city unfortunately I agree that riding in traffic is more tiring as each time I manage to build up speed I have to break at traffic lights.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A common newbie error is to push too hard and turn pedals too slowly. Try riding in a lower than normal gear and spin at higher than normal revs. Once you get used to the style you can sometimes ride more efficiently. NB does not work with short legs and long cranks or for big guys.

To improve bike handling skills you need to ride very slowly.
Further to that I'll add that a common mistake is to set off too hard as well, you need to 'warm up' for a good 10-15 minutes prior to 'giving it the beans'
Even Pro riders do this before competing

Sharky

Guru
I ride in the city unfortunately I agree that riding in traffic is more tiring as each time I manage to build up speed I have to break at traffic lights.
That sort of riding is actually a great way to get fit. It's a form of unstructured interval training (aka fartlek). Raising the heart rate, followed by a rest and keep repeating.

vickster

Legendary Member
Whereabouts - even in London you're often not too far from quieter places - or go out at 6am or 9pm and choose routes with less lights. Keep at it and you'll get fitter (and find some hills if you can - go north or south [east/west less use for hills cos of the river))

All uphill

Still rolling along
An old club mate once said - "if he spent half the time he spent cycling, on studying, he would be in a much better job by now".
But would it bring as much happiness? Don't think we will ever know, because last time I saw him, he was still cycling.
(Austin - if you ever read this, let me know)
If he spent half as much time cycling as he does studying he would be much fitter and happier.

I prefer that version of grumpy old man advice.😁

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Funny you say you don't get paid to cycle I was showing my partner the rides of someone I follow on Strava who in lockdown has been doing 60 to 150 miles per day, instead of being impressed she said if he isn't been paid to spend those hours on a bike he is a bit of a sad person with no social life. ( or words to that effect)

and what social life did your wife have in lockdown? I’m presuming none! Does that make her a sad person?

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There’s a thing I heard which I quite like.

You need low intensity durability so you can have high intensity repeatability.

To improve your endurance you just need to keep repeating your maximum distance. Not at high intensity just nice easy pace. Your body gets better at not fatiguing over the distance, it adapts. When you feel you are no longer fatiguing upto a certain distance, up the distance, repeat rides if that distance till you no longer fatigue and repeat. As for speed short sharp efforts on shorter rides. The sprint for the lights, rest, repeat is a good one for city riding to improve speed.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Whereabouts - even in London you're often not too far from quieter places - or go out at 6am or 9pm and choose routes with less lights. Keep at it and you'll get fitter (and find some hills if you can - go north or south [east/west less use for hills cos of the river))
Central London

vickster

Legendary Member
Central London
Head north for more hills

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I've built up from 20 miles in a day twice a week to 40 miles 3 times a week in 6 weeks, it does help working from home due to CV19 and the sun being up early, changed my gravel tyres to road and got clip-in shoes, it takes me about 150 min for 40 miles, oh and did I mention I have an electric bike :whistle:
I cycle daily what are your suggestions of how to go about increasing my distances?

JRTemple

Biking Enthusiast!
I cycle daily what are your suggestions of how to go about increasing my distances?

So distance isn't everything, 20 flat v 10 miles hilly

I live in N. London so if i ride into London I have lots more traffic, traffic lights, T Junctions ETC, if I go into Hertfordshire it's a lot less, and I mean a lot, just making sure the van drivers don't kill me takes a lot of my speed.
Personally I have found a good route into Hertfordshire where there is less traffic and I get to know the pot holes! I ride one day and rest the next (actually I play golf the next day!)
Having an electric bike means the hills where I live doesn't make a difference, it cuts out at 15.5 MPH and I now average 16.5 MPH, I try to make sure I am always going over 15.5 MPH on the flat as I don't need assistance on the flat, it's just the hills!
I am a newbie so I shouldn't be giving advice but what has worked for me is to ride the same route most of the time (you can get bored) look at my average speed and try to improve it slightly each week, just by .1 is an improvement, road tyres, clip-in shoes and taking it week by week, I'm not going to suddenly do 100 miles tomorrow!

Top Bottom