How do they Survive ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
On the contrary, I think both stupidity and skill are involved. Skill with bike handling and anticipation, and stupidity/very poor judgment for riding like that.

^+1

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
On the contrary, I think both stupidity and skill are involved. Skill with bike handling and anticipation, and stupidity/very poor judgment for riding like that.

Anticipation that a pedestrian is going to see them where they are not expected to be?Yes thats a good skill,just remember to tell the poor victim,when they get hit by an idiot,who anticipated they would be looking for them on the path.Or when the car they anticipated stopping for them cycling dangerously,swerves and hits someone.

col

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
Col, the bit that made me wince was when they were going between a moving bus and a kerb. I know that would scare me if I saw someone in my mirrors doing that.

They seem to feel indestructible too dont they?Again,only an idiot would cycle like them,They dont seem to have any sense of knock on effect,ie the vehicle that stops suddenly,gets rear ended,the car that swerves hits something or some one else,But hey,they know this wont happen,because they have good anticipation skills.

It is sad that some people can't (or refuse to) acknowledge the skill these cyclists posess, seriously guys, those messengers can make their bikes do things that most of us can only dream of.

However, whilst I do appriciate their skill, and have watched the video a fair few times in wonder, I am also bound to be annoyed by their total lack of respect for other road users.

Tynan, cagers absolutely cannot tell the difference between those cyclists and regular cyclists, just like the cagers who have accused 5 or 6 guys on sports bikes of being Hells Angels - for people who don't know, they just look identical. It is like being asked to pick out a Scotspine tree in a forest full of mixed pine trees, when you couldn't care less what typre of tree they are due to them all being trees.

col

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
It is sad that some people can't (or refuse to) acknowledge the skill these cyclists posess, seriously guys, those messengers can make their bikes do things that most of us can only dream of.

However, whilst I do appriciate their skill, and have watched the video a fair few times in wonder, I am also bound to be annoyed by their total lack of respect for other road users.

Tynan, cagers absolutely cannot tell the difference between those cyclists and regular cyclists, just like the cagers who have accused 5 or 6 guys on sports bikes of being Hells Angels - for people who don't know, they just look identical. It is like being asked to pick out a Scotspine tree in a forest full of mixed pine trees, when you couldn't care less what typre of tree they are due to them all being trees.

I for one,can see the skills,but like iv said,no more skills than any experienced cyclist,unless they practice pulling wheelies,and hopping about on their front wheel offscreen,which doesnt really apply to safe and thoughtful cycling.I didnt view it in wonder,more shock,or disbelief.

CotterPin

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:

It is definitely not skilful to rely upon someone else not to step out in front of you. You are just trusting to luck that nothing will go wrong. Or you just don't have the imagination that something could go wrong - it is an exact parallel to someone speeding in their car down an urban street. That's not skilful - it is just bullying and arrogance and so is this.

But you are right to say that this kind of behaviour tars all cyclists cos motorists aren't going to tell the difference between some of the imbeciles in this video and any of us out cycling when it comes down it.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
You're making an assumption that expecting people not to step out is the sole thing going on there. It's not.

Step out?You mean for already being on the pavement,or a crossing?Or somewhere pedestrians can normally feel safe?,they are expecting cars ,buses,vans,to react in a safe way too,and the real dangerous bit is,they expect everyone to see them and react in a way that lets them carry on being idiots.There are a couple of bits of the film,where people were shocked by the presence of these dangerous cyclists,and luckily didnt get hurt,but thats ok,they obviously have skills,so that negates their stupidity.

Maz

Guru
BentMikey said:
You're making an assumption that expecting people not to step out is the sole thing going on there. It's not.
Stepping out is always a sole thing.
(yes, I'm bored)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
col said:
they obviously have skills,so that negates their stupidity.

Come on, don't even try to insinuate that's what I'm saying. IMO that's very dishonest debating and you're better than that. I think you'll find that our viewpoints largely agree as to their stupidity.

You're simply doing as JRG said - unwilling or unable to see that they also have bike riding skills far in excess of most people.

LOL @ Maz!! You're on form today.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Come on, don't even try to insinuate that's what I'm saying. IMO that's very dishonest debating and you're better than that. I think you'll find that our viewpoints largely agree as to their stupidity.

You're simply doing as JRG said - unwilling or unable to see that they also have bike riding skills far in excess of most people.

LOL @ Maz!! You're on form today.

Ok point taken,but i do see what skills they have,just nothing in the film to suggest its anything other than what most regular cyclist have.The only difference i can see ,is that they are risk takers.

CotterPin

I agree with you, Col. If I wanted to I could ride in that fashion. I grant they have a degree of bravery. Mostly however they are arrogant bullies who would be swiftly condemned by many on this forum if their vehicles had engines.

Top Bottom