How do you choose a bike for winter use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Wondering how others select a bike for use in winter. Road salt, rain, snow, low light conditions all have to be contended with. Personally all my bikes have mudguards and are grease ported at hubs/headset/bottom bracket and pedals and water, grit, salt can all be purged. So other than a tyre change any would be suitable.
My choice is then made on the basis of which bike has least value to me personally and that is invariably never the lowest £ value. In fact this year it is the highest mometary value bike I have but least desirable to me that has been selected to bear the brunt of the potentially 5 months of road salting we get up here.
So how do you choose yours?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't have to choose. All my bikes are used all year round in all weathers. As long as they are cleaned, greased and lubed regularly there's no need for a winter bike.

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Hi Ian, it's not the weather that is the issue but the salt. This far north it is often spread twice daily and with temperatures that make regular washing of a bike difficult. Lived in Dorset for a few years and whilst down there this issue just didn't apply. There were no proper hills though^_^ Mind you at my age now that might be a bonus:laugh:

I only have one bike that I won't use when gritting starts - I'm too lazy to clean it properly so just keep it for when no grit as it's a sparkly bike. Otherwise, I use all others.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We have the same problem down in the South East.
As I said, keep the bike clean and lubed and it's not a problem.

Washing the bike is not hard, baby wipes are your friend.

simon.r

Person
I like the concept of grease ports, but with modern sealed cartridge bearings I think they're an anachronism.

Personally I go for a singlespeed when the roads are heavily salted and just accept that a freewheel / sprocket / chain may have to be replaced every year or two.

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Hi Simon, in full agreement re singlespeed but sadly that is in the past for me for regular use(heart condition) need gears to keep the dreaded angina at bay. Don't posess a sealed bearing though, all my bikes are vintage:thumbsup: like me!

D

Deleted member 1258

I use fixed for commuting all year round, in the autumn the geared best bike goes away and I just ride fixed all winter,Its ideal. I keep it clean and lubed and it works a treat.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use my Electric bike in Winter. I think it cost about £800, 3 years ago and it is used all year round. If it fails it fails, but lasting 3 Danish winters is pretty good.

I ride a lot of farm tracks and Woods in winter and using the electric bike with MTB tyres makes it a lot easier.

My Electric bike is the Tonaro Enduro.

http://www.powerpedals.co.uk/

Steve

OP
OP
rbreid

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Depends what you want from a winter bike, for me mudguards are essential, 25c tyres and the wheels don't need to be light.
Yes Mikey tyres are also my main change from the rest of the year. Got some Continental TourRide 28mm in my local shop £22 the pair. Just fitted them to 19mm rims and they actually measure 25.6mm. Not used this tyre before so time will tell if it's right for me or not

snorri

Legendary Member

Attachments

• 2010_0712eidebarge280481.JPG
    2010_0712eidebarge280481.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom