How do you lock your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...how do you lock your bike?
Carefully.

Sandra6

Veteran
Have a look at hip lok that might be something better for you

I really like the look of those, I wonder if Santa will get my letter in time??
At the moment I use a small shoulder bag which fits all my purse, keys etc and my lock, or a rucksack if I'm carrying a change of clothes or shopping, but I like the idea of slinging the lock round my waist.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I really like the look of those, I wonder if Santa will get my letter in time??

They are pretty good IMHO, they look quite beefy so have that visual deterrent specially if you get it in a vivid colour such as lime green or pink. It takes a little trial and error to get it comfortable on your hips and stop it from bouncing but once you have this sussed they are quite comfortable and do not get in your way.
I'm not sure there is a perfect solution for a practical and decent size lock, but this is as close as I have found..... hope Santa gets your letter

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Reluctantly is how I lock mine up. My everyday tank of a bike is not attractive or expensive but it is immensely useful to me and I dread it being nicked. Until I find a lock I'm happy with I try not to leave it anywhere I can't see it. I've tried a D-lock but find them too cumbersome and too inflexible. At the moment I have a cable lock which as people know isn't much use. I'm just going to get a very thick hardened chain and a very sturdy padlock so that it is going to be more trouble than another bike in the rack. It is already less desirable than quite a lot of bikes. I keep it tatty looking with odd bits of spray paint here and there and some random bits of gaffer tape.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Lucky at work I can stuff it under the back stairs but if it ever has to go in the bike rack backing onto the canal or when I'm riding out and about, then as securely and ostentatiously as I can.

I figure a decent quality and solid looking couple of locks and parking it in plain sight with other bikes that don't look as well secured will see it safe in comparison to an easier steal.

Always has done so far - Theres a relatively new secure bike parking place opened up too - I'll be giving that a go too when I'm next riding into town

Bigsharn

Veteran
Quick release wheels F&R, so I have two locks: An Abus Granit that goes through the rear wheel, whatever I'm locking it to and the seat/chain stays and seat tube, then a second Kryptonite that goes through the front wheel, main triangle and (usually) whatever I'm locking to.

At work we don't have Sheffield Stands, so mine goes through the Air Con unit... If anyone nicks my bike I'll know about it :smile:

Psyclist

Über Member
This below pic shows good ways to do it. Make sure if you use a D-Lock, that there's no space for a bottle jack device to pop it open. Kryptonite Mini D locks solve that problem. Check out my link to Bike Security on my signature for full in on bike security.

p4pb5940716.jpg

Alan57

For the local shop i`ve got a cable and old d lock, for going into Plymouth or Tavistock town i`ve got an onguard pitbull. I always lock to a post or railings etc.

This below pic shows good ways to do it. Make sure if you use a D-Lock, that there's no space for a bottle jack device to pop it open. Kryptonite Mini D locks solve that problem. Check out my link to Bike Security on my signature for full in on bike security.

p4pb5940716.jpg
I saw one guide (albeit similar) suggesting that the D'lock in the first pic should go through the rear wheel as its more valuable than the front which you put the cable through.

Alan57

I saw one guide (albeit similar) suggesting that the D'lock in the first pic should go through the rear wheel as its more valuable than the front which you put the cable through.
+1 I always put the d through the back wheel

Psyclist

Über Member

Yup, I'm more pointed at the 2nd one. But some bikes have axel nuts on them. Just depends on the bike. I'd personally lock the front to the rear with a d-lock too.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I never lock my bike because I never leave it anywhere out of my signt or out of my triple locked, alarmed garage.

Stonepark

Über Member
Top Bottom