How do you lock your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
My personal opinion is that if a thief really wants your bike they will find a way to get around any security measures you have in place and that a casual thief will be put off by almost any security.

Given that, I have a thick cable lock which probably looks better than it is, along with a second cable that I loop through my (expensive) saddle rails. I consider that its main purpose is as a highly visual deterrent.

I've got a cheap Single Speed for in town with nuts bolts for the wheels instead of QR skewers. I tend to lock to a Sheffield stand (or similar) putting the D'lock through the seat stays and rear wheel. If I had QR (my last commuter did), I lock the front wheel too. I never take my eye off my weekend bike so I only use a light cafe lock; it does limit stopping on solo rides however ;)

Kookas

Über Member
Depends how I'm feeling about the area. If I have to lock it somewhere dodgy, then the front wheel comes off and I throw a U-Lock through it all. Otherwise I tend to just lock the back wheel and seat stay to a pole with it.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I use an Abus Granit D-Lock to lock the frame to the stand, on the right stand i can get it through the rear triangle and wheel, and an Abus Cobra cable that ties the QR wheels to the D-Lock. I remove the computer and saddlebag usually, butin the past year ive got lazy and haven't bothered removing my 2 rear lights (Smart R2s). I only really leave my bike unattended outside shops for short durations though anyway or a few hours at a quiet pub, anywhere i dont feel is safe Id take my gaspipe MTB instead. I know its never 100% safe but I like to cut down the odds as best possible. I also have a Kryptonite Keeper (chain and padlock) which so far has only served to lock the bikes together in the garage.

Theres almost always someone with a prettier bike than mine with a lesser lock, working on the theory that the tiger picks off the weakest antelope first :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
in a bike shed , d lock through the rear triangle and a thick cablelock around the down tube,all lights etc removed.
next to more expensive bikes who have crappy locks......

OP
OP
jlamontagne

jlamontagne

Regular
When I first started cycling everywhere (college, shopping etc..) I only used this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-1800...U67O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355512318&sr=8-1 and only attached the frame to the stand. Didn't take long for it to get stolen, but I guess I got what was coming to me for being so naive. Once I get my Triban 3 I'm going to use a Kryptonite New York D-lock to lock the rear wheel and frame together to the stand and then use a kryptonite cable to attach the front wheel to the stand. That should give me some peace of mind, although no bike is ever completely safe...this should deter 99% of potential thieves.

I use either the Abus Granit-54 D lock or a Squire Urban paramount D lock 290 depending on which bike and where - but the truth is I have always lived rurally where they usually have to have actually found your home first - easier said than done, just try getting items delivered to your home, but the expensive touring bike is not out of my site when not at home.

But I leave my Triban 3 (bought specifically for that purpose) at college (or the doctors) with only the Abus Granit lock on it rear wheel, frame and butterfly bars - not an issue becuase it is not the main campus just a small sub-campus and bike sheds are less than 5m from a security camera which covers the back door of the building so will always be recording. I can't lock it along side a fancier looking bike because (sadly) I have yet to see any other bikes there! Otherwise I have always used the principle of making someone elses bike look an easier (and more expensive) target than my own. To date it has worked... (finger's crossed touching wood...)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Usually a D-lock through the rear triangle and wheel (to fill the inside of the D). The wheels have a simple locking skewer (though the back is normally locked with the D-lock anyway. It's often locked up with other bikes which means there is usually at least one locked with a cable lock. And just before I leave the bike a quick tug to check I have actually locked it (a couple of time I've discovered it is merely locked to itself).

Drago

Legendary Member
At work its in a secure compound so just a cheap cable lock to stop workmates fannying with it.

Out and about an old but highly rated Kryptonite shackle which goes through the frame to sonething solid.

At home my security arrangements are top secret, but include multiple IR beams across the only route to my rear garden, unless you have a helicopter, so ill know before they get anywhere near my shed.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My hybrid gets locked just through the frame to something solid. It has PinHead security skewers so wheels, seatpost and stem need the key to undo (key stays in the pannier tool kit which is nearly always with the bike :blush:). I use a cheap cable lock at work in the secure car park and a heavier cable lock when I am out and about shopping and stuff. The road bike and MTB don't often get locked up out in the real world, maybe outside a cafe where I can keep an eye on them so the lighter lock is used rather than carry the heavy cable on a big leisure ride.

Sandra6

Veteran
Sometimes I get back to my bike and realise I haven't actually locked it to anything, or that the lock could be lifted off, and last week it wasn't even locked.
I usually try to loop the lock through the wheel and the frame but it probably wouldn't take too much to pop a wheel off and steal the bike. It's just a cheap lock too, I've looked at better ones but they're big and heavy - how do you carry them around??
Oh, if my bike goes missing anytime soon, I'll know it was one of you!!!

Sometimes I get back to my bike and realise I haven't actually locked it to anything, or that the lock could be lifted off, and last week it wasn't even locked.
I usually try to loop the lock through the wheel and the frame but it probably wouldn't take too much to pop a wheel off and steal the bike. It's just a cheap lock too, I've looked at better ones but they're big and heavy - how do you carry them around??
Oh, if my bike goes missing anytime soon, I'll know it was one of you!!!
I carry mine with me on the commuter but some folk leave them at the racks and sometimes have multiple lock left round town. Our work racks are secure so its not an issue there but I'd be a bit wary of leaving locks around to be tampered with. In the New Year I might take to leaving the Kyrptonite New York D Lock in the shed, I think I'd still carry the Kryptonite Evolution just in case and for other shop stops.

Top Bottom