How do you lock your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psyclist

Über Member
My view is that if they want it they'll have it, whatever the lock. The cable deters the oppotunist. I have never lost a locked bicycle.

Whilst this is true, it also takes a lot of effort to get through a strong lock.
An Almax is the best chain out there (in the U.K anyway)
If an opportunist bike thief wants to get through one of those, they're going to need an angle grinder, or maybe a blow torch with a strong saw/croppers (as this video proves, even long croppers can't get through them) which means making noise and attracting a lot of attention. Not saying a thief won't try, as it has been proved in a couple of videos, but it cuts down a large factor of bike thieves who will actually dare to try it.

Cables can be cut like paper, and I would advise fully against them, they may deter the 'petty' bike thief, but a pro will just go and slice it within seconds. Even 'high end' cables can be removed without a problem. Maybe people who use cables, who haven't had their bike stolen have ran on luck.

Stonepark

Über Member
Cables can be cut like paper, and I would advise fully against them, they may deter the 'petty' bike thief, but a pro will just go and slice it within seconds. Even 'high end' cables can be removed without a problem. Maybe people who use cables, who haven't had their bike stolen have ran on luck.

It is the old trade off between arms and armour, I wouldn't leave my bike in the centre of glasgow (or any big city) with just the cable on it but for market town and rural scotland, they are an adequate deterrence to opportunistic theft.

Psyclist

Über Member
It is the old trade off between arms and armour, I wouldn't leave my bike in the centre of glasgow (or any big city) with just the cable on it but for market town and rural scotland, they are an adequate deterrence to opportunistic theft.

Fair enough. I don't know Scotland well so can't vouch for that. I see things as thieves being everywhere, let alone the risk of running a cable lock (even with an opportunistic thief) people can carry wire cutters in their pocket (and do too) you never know when/where your bike is going to get stolen. So I always carry a Kryptonite Mini-D or an Almax chain depending on the area and length of time it's going to be left.

Psyclist

Über Member
Also, a beater bike is your best option. Get a cheap supermarket style hardtail or an old cheap road bike. Leave your good bike locked up at home for leisure.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My hybrid is locked with a abus amparo framelock (rear stay mounted) , amparo bolt in cable and a cobra cable looped round front wheel and woven round stationary object and into frame lock.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abus-Amparo-NKR-Frame-Lock/dp/B001BADNRA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abus-Amparo-Cable-Black-100cm/dp/B003F8JM08/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abus-Cobra-...sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1355741345&sr=1-1

Still try not to leave it alone for too long.

Life's too short :stop:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
NY Fagh mini through rear triangle, wheel and Sheffield stand. Abus Bordo for front secured through frame and Sheffield stand, and a cable through the saddle rails. Weighs a tonne.

Herbie

Veteran
I've been looking around the internet at the best locks to use and best ways to use them, how do you lock your bike?

I use a total of 4 locks...my Brooks saddle is locked to the frame with a thin Krytonite cable lock..i use an Abus D lock and a Knog Strongman lock and also a little Knog cable lock...i don't like to take any chances! and don't like leaving my bike out of sight for too long...takes a few minutes to unlock and lock but to get my bike nicked would cause me a lot of grief and upset

OP
OP
jlamontagne

jlamontagne

Regular
Weighs a tonne.

I'm not surprised with all that, although I think I'm gonna have a similar set up to what you use

mossj88

I have to feed my lock...
snake.jpg

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
As previously said, if somebody want YOUR bike, they will have it, but in general, its all about making your bike less easy to rip away from its mooring than somebody elses. Most bike thefts are opportunists, who cant be bothered to walk, or are looking to make a fast buck by selling it on. Just use common sense and dont make your bike a easy target, always attatch it to an imovable object and put it in a busy, preferably CCTV monitored area and use a lock that is clearly visible. Works for me ! (so far) ;)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
D lock through the back wheel and triangle, and a cable loop through the front wheel to the D lock. I try and park it in plain sight of lots of people. I insure it too. That takes away an awful lot of anxiety.....until you try and claim off them.:smile:

Crankarm

Guru
D lock through the back wheel and triangle, and a cable loop through the front wheel to the D lock. I try and park it in plain sight of lots of people. I insure it too. That takes away an awful lot of anxiety.....until you try and claim off them.:smile:

Don't use ANY cable lock and certainly not a cable loop. You might as well use cheese.

mattsr

Don't use ANY cable lock and certainly not a cable loop. You might as well use cheese.

I wouldn't say don't use ANY cable lock- just make sure it's a good one. I use one of these:-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/abus-granit-steel-o-flex-1000-80cm-cable-bike-lock/

Sold Secure Gold Rated, it weighs a ton but once it's in my panniers I don't notice it. Because my bike has a frame lock on the rear, I lock that, then use the Abus on the front wheel and around the frame to a solid object. That way both wheels are locked.

Top Bottom