How do you react to rude drivers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LemonJuice

I’ve only been cycling on the roads for a little while and I’ve noticed quite a bit of aggression towards cyclists.

I’ve seen cyclists drivers arguing with each other, cyclists giving the fingers and swearing at drivers and vice versa, etc.

Have you ever lost your temper with another cyclist or a driver?

How do you react to bad drivers?

Drago

Legendary Member
I ignore them. At best reacting gets you nowhere, at worst you could end up sitting on a cloud wearing wings and playing a harp.

OP
OP
L

LemonJuice

One thing that really annoys me is when I’m approaching a crossing with a pedestrian island and a driver speeds up to get in front of me instead of just waiting a few seconds and then he or she can safely pass me.

Mrs M

Guru
One thing that really annoys me is when I’m approaching a crossing with a pedestrian island and a driver speeds up to get in front of me instead of just waiting a few seconds and then he or she can safely pass me.
Most of my close passes have been in this situation, come to expect it :sad:
I just say “get over” and thumb towards my right.
Never had any issues as the drivers hopefully realise their “temporary lapse” of attention to the road :dry:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
With a reflexive loud and profane volcalisation of my displeasure.

Thinking of getting an air horn..

dodgy

Serve it cold.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Resist the urge to remonstrate with the driver. Life really is too short to risk getting ‘gung-ho’ with them. Remember a bad day on your bike is still better than a good day at your work (unless you’re a cycle courier of course).^_^

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You have to be really careful now, people are on shorter fuses than ever. I had a ridiculously fast close pass recently, I gave the "move out / give me more space" gesture of arm out to one side, completely dispassionately, no swearing, no shouting, no rude hand signals. That gesture was enough to get me into a one mile game of "Duel" with the driver repeatedly accelerating and braking, challenging me to go past him. And this was just an old git in a Toyota, imagine one of those tattooed beardy muscle heads in their pickups getting such an affront to their manhood.

You just never know, it's not worth testing them.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Somebody was murdered** by an angry driver just down the road from where I grew up in Coventry.

A driver may have a knife, a gun, an iron bar, (whatever) and be ready to use that against you. Even those who don't are armed with a lethal weapon - the vehicle itself. It isn't worth the risk of antagonising some psycho. I admit that I sometimes do break my own advice, but usually I mutter to myself or wait for them to get out of range before venting at them!

** It is pretty rare, but in this case the driver was caught and found guilty of intentionally killing the cyclist. Murder rather than causing death by dangerous driving or some other lesser charge. Witnesses saw the cyclist ride up onto the pavement to try to escape but the driver followed and aimed the car at him. The collision sent the cyclist flying some distance through the air, fatally injuring him.

Top Bottom